Tolex ... overlap or perfect seam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tolex ... overlap or perfect seam?

Which route would you go on a two tone amp? Would you overlap the two colors like the top layer of a tweed amp or glue them down edge to edge? Opinions???

thanks a lot!

I always go for the perfect seam, but don't "glue them down edge to edge".
    The proper procedure is to overlap them by, say, 1.5" or 2" , cut both of them at the same time down to the wood with a real sharp knife, pull the unneeded strips and only then slightly correct edges for a perfect seam, if needed.
    But cutting both at the same time takes care of 95% of the job.
    A perfect seam can be used anywhere, you can use 10 alternating color strips if you wish.
    Overlapping Tolex (or Tweed) only works on the top and bottom edges, Fender style.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I think the seam looks a lot cleaner and I will probably go for it. I just wondered if there are any benefits to it like it's more durable or so ...

thanks!

Comment

In theory, the overlapped Old Fender type may get torn open by careless handling, such as sliding a heavy cabinet or drum case or whatever over it; while the more even cut seam is flatter.
        Or, perhaps more important; the cut seam means porous fabric Tolex bottom is glued to porous wood, while in overlaps, porous bottom fabric gets glued to non porous Tolex (plastic side).
        I have seen this weaker joint somewhat unglued a couple times, in very old stuff.
        Old animal hide glue used by Fender is water soluble (think rain/beer/etc.)
        I bet properly applied neoprene type contact cement is stronger.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I've restored a couple of cabinets, I tend to keep true to the manufacture or match the cab to the head its going to. I think both look great in their own respects. If I was making my own head a cab, I think Seamless would last longer. I hope we get pics when your done.

Comment

If the cab is going to be two tone, do you plan to use piping as well? Because that will require some allowance but also give a little imperfection leeway.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I did a design - but never built - an urban themed amp, and I wanted to tip my hat to two-tone wingtip shoes. It would have layered leather/vinyl, the upper layer tooled. Such a layer could hide a seam.

Two tone wingtips - TheFind
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

nope ... no piping.
                I has a kind of unusual front panel tho but I tried stretching a piece of tolex around it and it should work ... I think I'll take the chance.

here's what it looks like so far. I still have a lot of work to do until I get to the tolex especially because I don't have any experience with woodworking:

Amp Project

thanks god for the internet! I found all information on how to do it and what tools I need on YouTube and this forum ...

Comment

Hey !!! NICE woodwork !!!!!!!!!!!
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanks! I was always reluctant to go and build my own cabinets but with a little patience and some decent tools it went really smooth so far. But I have just started ... let's wait and see how it will turn out.

Comment

Working...
                    X