New winder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New winder

I have finished my winder. I used an old oscillating fan motor, an Omron photosensor, and a RedLion Cub3L for counting, a light dimmer for changing the motor speed, a Ruland shaft collar with a few holes in it for screws that hold the bobbin. Walla! I did a trial winding with orange thread.

Now I need to figure out how to wire my sidewinder humbucker. It looks like the start is ground, the end is hot. Any advice on how to configure my wires?

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	winder.png
Views:	1
Size:	757.7 KB
ID:	866882Click image for larger version

Name:	winder bobbin.png
Views:	1
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	866883

KC

Originally posted by KatCreek View Post
    Now I need to figure out how to wire my sidewinder humbucker. It looks like the start is ground, the end is hot. Any advice on how to configure my wires?
    It depends on if you are winding both coils in the same direction or not. You will know if it's wired the right way because it wont hum. If they are not wound in the same direction it should be start to finish.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thanks. I'm winding them both in the same direction. So to clarify, I connect the wires so that the wire just continues onto the next coil.

David, This is outside the forum for beginner corner for winders, but maybe you can help direct me to a forum that would work. I need to buy mini pots and switches that have long necks. I think I have found the mini pots, but the 3 way toggle DPDT Gibson style switch, I can't seem to find. Can you help me? Thanks
      KC

Comment

Thanks. I'm winding them both in the same direction. So to clarify, I connect the wires so that the wire just continues onto the next coil.

David, This is outside the forum for beginner corner for winders, but maybe you can help direct me to a forum that would work. I need to buy mini pots and switches that have long necks. I think I have found the mini pots, but the 3 way toggle DPDT Gibson style switch, I can't seem to find. Can you help me? Thanks
        KC
        In most humbuckers with the coils wound in the same direction, series wiring connects the two finishes together. The starts are the hot and ground.

Also check out this switch, it is similar to the original Gibson switch and it could be the one you need.
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUALITY-3-WA...item2ea7d54377
        Last edited by SonnyW; 11-26-2012, 05:43 AM.
        www.sonnywalton.com
        How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

KC
          Grizzly has a bunch of luither parts and switches pretty cheap.
          I haven't used them but a friend of mine that builds guitars uses them some.
          Grizzly.com® -- Product Categories
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

KC
            I've never seen any with long shafts. Are these passing through wood? You will have to rout it thinner.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Well I just heard the notes from my first pick up. It is a side winder similar to Chris Turner's pickup. Thanks Chris for all your help. I used 42 AWG wound 6000 times for an impedance of 5.3 k ohms per side. I used 8/32 steel screws that are 3/4" long, a 1/4 inch keeper bar. I like the way it sounds in my bass mule.

Thanks to all for your help.
              KC

Comment

Congratsulations!
                I'm sure there will more to follow.
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

I cant believe nobody said anything about light-dimmers not being safe for this application. You can ruin the motor this way, or possibly have a switch melt-down/fire. You should have bought a Fan Speed controller. They don't cost that much more, and are designed differently; light bulbs don't care about the state of the electric current coming in - motors DEFINITELY care. I've done quite a bit of research on this while considering building my own winder - this is not a place to cut corners.

-Rob

Comment

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
                    I cant believe nobody said anything about light-dimmers not being safe for this application. You can ruin the motor this way, or possibly have a switch melt-down/fire. You should have bought a Fan Speed controller. They don't cost that much more, and are designed differently; light bulbs don't care about the state of the electric current coming in - motors DEFINITELY care. I've done quite a bit of research on this while considering building my own winder - this is not a place to cut corners.

-Rob
                    I used a router speed control on my last handwinder that was about $20 and it worked great. Then I got a different motor speed controller on ebay and built it right in. Actually the router speed control worked better, but it wasn't enough difference for me to go back.

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                    I've never seen any with long shafts. Are these passing through wood? You will have to rout it thinner.
                    Stewmac does have special Alpha pots with the long shafts for Les Pauls. I haven't seen them anywhere else though. STEWMAC.COM : Alpha Control Pots
                    www.sonnywalton.com
                    How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

It matters what kind of motor you have. Here are a few of the most relevant kind:

For small induction motors (AC only), a fan controller will work, but only for small motors. A light dimmer will fail.

For a universal (AC/DC) motor, a light dimmer will work (if large enough), and a fan controller will fail. Routers, sewing machine motors, and the like are universal.

Treadmill motors are typically DC only, and require at least a variac and rectifier bridge, and maybe a transformer (if motor cannot handle 200 Vdc).

Comment

Working...
                      X