Heart Shaped Cam Calculator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heart Shaped Cam Calculator?

I'm having a little trouble finding a formula or method for calculating the shape, size and spindle center of a heart shaped cam for a given throw distance. I've been able to make some out of acrylic and just saw/file until they work, but I'd rather have something more solid for calculating the shapes and centers I need for different bobbin heights, rather than trial/error.

Google is great for finding cam calculators ...for auto engines. The results are so flooded with popular hits for car cam shaft calculators that I just don't see what I need, if it's out there at all.

Anyone have experience with this? I don't have a manual for one of the winders in question, and neither does George Stevens. They don't have record of it. The other is a modified winder which I built a traverse for, so also no manual.

I'm basically looking for - "A heart shaped cam of XXX size and XXX shape and its center located at XXX will move a follower a distance of XXX at a constant velocity" I should have studied harder in geometry class, I guess.

Mathematically, the shape is a cardioid.

There is a calculator at
    Polar Coordinates and Equations
    "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Thank you Salvarsan! I need to do some reading up on this to make more sense of applying it to my traverse systems, but the shape generation is there. I just need to learn the rest. That's great!

Comment

Looking at that site more, I'm not sure the calculator is giving me what I want. Are you sure it's a cardioid pattern? Shouldn't there be a "point" or "tip" of the heart shape that's equal to the "dent" of the heart on the other side to give a follower constant velocity at BOTH ends of the traverse travel?

Comment

This is helpful-ish...
          http://music-electronics-forum.com/t4212/

Comment

Will this work?

Click image for larger version

Name:	solar_heart_shaped_calculator_and_pocket_calculator.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	827470

Comment

Old thread, but I've a need to learn this & found this book which may be of some use: "The drafting of cams
              By Louis Rouillion"

Free Google ebook here:

The drafting of cams - Louis Rouillion - Google Books

Here's another freebie:
              Designing and Cutting Cams

http://books.google.com/books?id=t20...20Cams&f=false
              Last edited by Beef Coon; 03-06-2014, 07:52 PM.
              Bobby, www.TysonTone.com

Comment

Check out this thread:
                http://music-electronics-forum.com/t31329/

Comment

Working...
                X