Speaker swap now no bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker swap now no bass

Here is what happened. I acquired a 4x12 cab it was loaded with Eminence Lady Luck speakers. The cabinet is rated at 16ohms. I do not have a amp that works with a 16ohm load so I removed 2 of the speakers and wired them for an 8ohm load. So the cab is now a 2x12 @ 8ohms.

I then acquired another set of speakers an Eminence Man-o-war and and Eminence Governor. I put those in the cab as well but wired them too 2x12 @ 8ohms. The cab now has 2 separate sets of 2x12's with 2 separate input jacks for each set of speakers.

Both sets of speakers sound great as pairs but here is the problem:

When I connect the amplifier to both sets of speakers at the same time at a 4 ohm load there is very little or no bass at all. It sounds very tinny. However the speaker pairs by themselves sound normal.

I also did another comparison. I connected one 8ohm pair from the new cabinet to the amp and also connected a different 8 ohm 4x12 cab to the amp. All 6 speakers sounded excellent together. I then switched to the other pair in the new cab and they too sounded good.

Could it be the polarity? I made sure to check that all the polarity was correct. But it seems like they are cancelling each other out. This is how I have them connected to the amp:

Your two sets of speakers are out of phase. You must reverse the wires on one set.

Here is one way to get it right. The standard arrangement is for a positive voltage on the speaker positive terminal causes the speaker cone to move forward (outward). Plug a cord into the jack, and at the free end of the cord, the tip of the plug is the positive terminal, and the sleeve of the plug is negative. Take a 9 volt battery, touch the tip of that plug to the + snap of the battery, then briefly move the plug so the sleeve touches the other snap. With each touch, the speaker should make a pop sound. But if you look close, the speaker cone should move one direction with each touch. If that motion is outwards, then you have the speakers wired correctly. If backwards, reverse the wires between jack and speaker.

You have two sets, one is backwards of the other. Make the "wrong" one right.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks that helped. I must have had the jack backwards. I switched the leads and it sounds 100% better. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X