Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvertone-ish Tolex

Hey folks,
    I have a Silvertone 1472 that I'd like to get some new tolex for. I'm not too worried about finding an exact replacement, but I'd like to find something close to the original. Any ideas? Thanks.

Well, it ain't Tolex to begin with
    It's good quality wallpaper, the kind which has a very thin vinyl protective layer, so you can sponge wash it when dirty.
    Crude as it seems, they have some killer colors and textures unavailable in any Tolex.
    And use wallpaper adhesive, of course.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanks Juan, do you know if there is a reproduction of that wallpaper available? Thanks.

Comment

Well, I'm 8000 Km away in Argentina, different market.
        Yet at a home decoration shop I found some paper, in my case a beautiful black one with small blue specks, with a texture like the skin of a toad which looks *killer* when applied.
        So I suggest you do the same, search catalogs.
        At the actual shop, they have these phone book size ones, chock full of actual paper samples.
        And from the look of them, Silvertone did the same, many of the designs they used look like what was considered "modern" at the time.
        I'm sure you'll find some cool and compatible design.
        Only problem is, they come in the typical foot and a half wallpaper roll width.
        The one I used came "preglued", it had some dry glue film applied which supposedly you only had to wet with a sponge, but I used a brush dipped in 50/50 solution of carpenter's glue + water, just to play it safe.
        Practice on a spare piece of wood, specially bends and cuts.
        You can wipe them clean with a wet napkin .
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

The Gibson Robot Les Paul cases are covered in something really close to the old Gretsch/Supro gray covering that would also suit a Silvertone nicely. I haven't seen the material in any catalogs that carry amp covering but the fact that is exists means that someone is making it. Shake some trees and see what falls out.

Comment

Working...
          X