No announcement yet.

Hartke HA3500 Transient Attack Bass head making 'woofing pops' while playing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hartke HA3500 Transient Attack Bass head making 'woofing pops' while playing

I have a Hartke HA3500 Transient Attack bass head that is malfunctioning..
    I turn it on and it powers up fine, and there is no crackling nor is the signal cutting in and out. I start playing and after a minute or so there are loud 'woofing' noises coming from the amp. Kind of a woofing pop. I'm wondering if there's some sort of grounding issue.. or some soldering broke free, etc..
    PLEASE HELP!!
    Like I said, no crackling or signal interruptions (the bass continues to play just fine under the massive woofing popping sound). But I'm wondering why it takes a minute to start doing it.
    Any suggestions/questions PLEASE let me know!
    Thanks!

Measure all hte power supplies as a first step, are these all good ? Do any have large AC ripple volts?
    When the speaker is making the "woofing" sound, does it push all the way in or out ?
    If you disable the compressor, does this help
    Attached Files

Comment

Ball up your fist and whack the top of the amp while it plays. Does that have ANY effect on the amp or sound?
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

@ Enzo: I thought about hitting it several times... But I'm not sure if it will help the problem.. hahah.

@mozwell: I need to go buy a new volt meter today. Haven't used mine in awhile and it's failing to work.. Thanks for the Specs sheet though! Disabling the compressor doesn't change the woofing sound. And the speaker doesn't move that much when it does 'woof/pop'.

Comment

I have wanted to hit it.. but not sure if that'd actually help... haha

Comment

Thanks for the specs sheet! I have to get a new volt meter today and I'll check everything tonight. The speaker doesn't move very much when making the sounds. And the 'woof/pop' doesn't change when I disable the compressor. If I remember correctly, it may have gotten worse when I turned the compressor up. I'll double check tonight.

Comment

Have you hit it yet> Enzo, was serious about that

Comment

I haven't hit it yet... What could that possibly fix? lol

Comment

It could tell you if the problem you are having is the result of a bad solder joint or some other connection.

Comment

hmm. Well I suppose I'll give that a shot!

Comment

Enzo *is* serious.
                      That's a tried and true diagnostic method.
                      "Big" manufacturers have shaker/vibration tables to catch such problems.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	figure_01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	827450
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

The tech approach.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I was dead serious. If you want to be official about it, use a rubber mallet instead of your fist.

Hitting the amp is not intended to fix anything. If the amp reacts to being hit, that means there is a loose connection somewhere inside. The hitting is a diagnostic to reveal loose connections.
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Tech approach II.
                            Attached Files

Comment

There you go, the definitive rubber mallet pose.

Comment

Working...
                              X