Help with first build. 5F1 Champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astark117 View Post
    Thats what I did and it worked perfectly after that. Its also normal for the tubes to glow a bluish violet color.
    That was it...she sounds pretty when she growls...bugs me a little that I tore the whole thing down and re built it twice ..just to find out it was the ot ..never trust wiring diagrams and the color codes....my 5e3 took less time to build..not sure I could recommend a Mojotone kit ...im done

Comment

The OT leads being opposite of "correct" happens all the time. I build mostly prototype and custom orders. Often with new iron I've never used. Every time I fire up a new build I fully expect it to be wrong and even wire up my OT with a little extra lead so swapping will be easier. It's really not MOJO's fault you tore the amp down and rebuilt it twice. More experience would have made the diagnosis easy. A 5E3 has no NFB loop. So it's you can't have the NFB loop become a positive loop if the leads are incorrect in phase. That doesn't mean the amp may not perform better one way or the other. All the leads in the amp are "talking" to each other due to close proximity.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I dont want to make this a Mojo bitch fest...thats why i didnt mention the missing parts in the kit and the very cheap tube sockets ...that i had to re-order from another vender... great fun for a 2nd build...and i will continue to build and no im not an expert at building but learning all the time like i said great fun but cant recommend MoJo ...thats just my opinion anyways she's growls real pretty...cheers

Comment

When I build an amp... at least one a week.... I always pull both the high voltage primary wires over to the furthest power tube socket and line them both up on the plate solder lug... that way if there is a phase issue, both wires can reach the furthest socket... it is just a simple matter to reverse the leads from the socket then.
          So far, and only over the last 8-9 years. I've only had this happen a very few times with Mojotone's output transformers... possibly from different build schedules at their tranny winder... which for the most part is Heyboer.
          And to be honest.... I think they were the 5F1 OTs and their replacement reverb driver OT, also a SE device!!
          ha ha
          Bruce

Mission Amps
          Denver, CO. 80022
          www.missionamps.com
          303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
            When I build an amp... at least one a week.... I always pull both the high voltage primary wires over to the furthest power tube socket and line them both up on the plate solder lug... that way if there is a phase issue, both wires can reach the furthest socket... it is just a simple matter to reverse the leads from the socket then.
            So far, and only over the last 8-9 years. I've only had this happen a very few times with Mojotone's output transformers... possibly from different build schedules at their tranny winder... which for the most part is Heyboer.
            And to be honest.... I think they were the 5F1 OTs and their replacement reverb driver OT, also a SE device!!
            ha ha
            Great to know,,,any advice on the hum im getting,,,,its not real bad but i wouldnt mind tweaking it a bit. volume at 10 you can really notice it. just for giggles i put an external attenuater on it and the hum is tamed but so is the treble.

Comment

Originally posted by pharmdawg View Post
              Great to know,,,any advice on the hum im getting,,,,its not real bad but i wouldnt mind tweaking it a bit. volume at 10 you can really notice it. just for giggles i put an external attenuater on it and the hum is tamed but so is the treble.
              Do you have the center tap of the 6.3v filament wires connected to chassis ground or "biased" with DC from the cathode of the 6V6?
              Bruce

Mission Amps
              Denver, CO. 80022
              www.missionamps.com
              303-955-2412

Comment

Working...
              X