Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise Floor Hiss From Rivera Knucklehead Tre Head

Hi All,

First post here! I've had the above amp for about a year now & absolutey love the tone the ability to use the effect loop dials as a wat to push the power tubes at low volume

I was told this hiss I get is attribute of "high gain" amps, but notice a noise floor hiss that my noise reduction (ISP) wont get rid of --- its there until you put it on standby.

Its a tad annoying when you play clean & I can live with it , but want to know from the experts whether this deserves a look from an authorize tech?

No one?

I use a Single Rectoverb as an A/B with it & no such hiss on the Mesa. Just the usual Buzz/Hum I can eliminate with noise reduction. The hiss is there regardless of gain or volume

Any ideas would be great - thanks again.

Comment

Start by getting the schematic and posting it here, so useful solutions can be suggested.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Have you tried other preamp tubes?
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
          Have you tried other preamp tubes?
          It's been doing this since I got it new

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
            Start by getting the schematic and posting it here, so useful solutions can be suggested.
            http://www.webphix.com/schematic%20h...nucklehead.pdf

I have a 2011 model which I believe is "updated" though

Comment

Originally posted by blf1 View Post
              It's been doing this since I got it new
              Do you mean, a) yes, the preamp tubes have all been changed since it was new,
              or b) no the preamp tubes have not been changed since it was new, but a new preamp tube could not have been noisy?
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Your noise reduction is placed in the FX loop?

Remove the loop stuff, plug the guitar into the FX loop return, and turn volume control on the guitar to zero. Is the hiss still present? If so it is somewhere between the return jack and the power amp.

You have apparently got level controls for both send and return on the loop. With zero guitar still into FX return, turn return level control up and down. Does the hiss go up and down too, or is it unaffected?

My suspect is the IC on the FX loop circuit has gone noisy. I am trying to isolate that section as much as possible to verify that or point elsewhere.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                  Your noise reduction is placed in the FX loop?

Remove the loop stuff, plug the guitar into the FX loop return, and turn volume control on the guitar to zero. Is the hiss still present? If so it is somewhere between the return jack and the power amp.

You have apparently got level controls for both send and return on the loop. With zero guitar still into FX return, turn return level control up and down. Does the hiss go up and down too, or is it unaffected?

My suspect is the IC on the FX loop circuit has gone noisy. I am trying to isolate that section as much as possible to verify that or point elsewhere.
                  Enzo - thanks so much for your help/time! I did what you said and yes the hiss even gets louder as you turn it up on the return knob with just plugged into the return. The hiss is there even with no guitar or anything plugged in as well.

I plugged direct into the front of amp and even without using the FX Loop, the hiss is still there. Def sounds like the return makes it worse when you turn it up!
                  See this vid i just shot to illustrate side by side with my Mesa -- I A/B them - same Furman Power Conditioner too --- Im using ISP Decimators to rid the normal buzz/hum & they do that on both amps BUT this hiss is always underneath everything on the Rivera as soon as you take it off standby - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OZJb...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Then that IC on the FX loop board is still my prime suspect.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                    X