What to charge for???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to charge for???

Hey all. I have been repairing amps for about 7 years now. I have actually only had one I couldnt fix, was a little Ibanez tone blaster. Cheap thing. Anyway, I just fixed a guys Carvin Stagemaster. Toom me a while but it desperately needed a recap, one of the high voltage spade lugs is soldered directly above a tube socket. There was a solder bridge thet caused the 480 Volts to arc to the 6.3 heaters. Not good. I had to rebuild traces as it vaporized them. I had to rebuild the effects loop wires etc.... Basically, a tough job. What would be a reasonable price to charge this guy. I dont wanna club him in the head too hard as I am about to build amps to his head cabs and speaker enclosures. Gruber cabs btw. What do you think? I dont wanna be a d-bag but I have a family to feed

Originally posted by Danglin' Fury View Post
    Hey all. I have been repairing amps for about 7 years now. I have actually only had one I couldnt fix, was a little Ibanez tone blaster. Cheap thing. Anyway, I just fixed a guys Carvin Stagemaster. Toom me a while but it desperately needed a recap, one of the high voltage spade lugs is soldered directly above a tube socket. There was a solder bridge thet caused the 480 Volts to arc to the 6.3 heaters. Not good. I had to rebuild traces as it vaporized them. I had to rebuild the effects loop wires etc.... Basically, a tough job. What would be a reasonable price to charge this guy. I dont wanna club him in the head too hard as I am about to build amps to his head cabs and speaker enclosures. Gruber cabs btw. What do you think? I dont wanna be a d-bag but I have a family to feed
    Don't you think you should have a diagnostic fee and then let customer decide if it's worth putting effort in something that may not warrant it?
    OR if the amps your building will take care of your loss at this time then call it a draw. I think the problem a lot of have is when to throw in the towel with money vs time.

nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

U$140 to U$200.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Probably took all damn day, right? Try not to go backwards and count on doing better with this client in the future. Which is already scheduled it seems. In light of this I think JM's upper price of $200 is probably close. That's for labor only. Charge parts on top of that.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

You say "it desperately needed a cap job".Did you know that before you started?If I am doing a cap job,I have a $50 labor fee and if I find another problem,depending on how simple it is,I'll just charge whatever the part is,after advising and getting an okay.When I do cap jobs,I'll offer to,say,do an adjustable bias mod for an additional $10.If I get an amp with an Unknown problem,I get $65 an hour but if I have to go beyond 2 hours,rare,I usually just charge the 2 hours.If you're getting some good future jobs from this guy,I would take it on the chin and go easy on this job.I do a lot of work for friends of my sons,both are musicians and send me a lot of people that are friends,so I am always giving away the store,so to speak.I also have no overhead,having my shop in my basement,and for now it is just a part time thing,I plan to go full time next year when I retire,so things will change then.If this is your sole means of support,I would think Fahey's in the ballpark,but I would think you should have advised the client first and gotten an okay.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I kept him in the loop at all stages of the process. I also do have a bench fee and he has paid it. At all stages, he said he wants this amp to work. period. He pretty much told just fix it. I told him he was venturing into $100 if not $200, and he didnt seem to care. I should have been more clear in the o.p. We are venturing into amp builds, JUST BUILT OUR FIRST 5 WATT!! and just not trying to jeopardize his decision to have me do his builds. Know what Im sayin? Thanks.

Comment

What Chuck H said.

Comment

Since you already prepped him for the $200 nut,it seems JM hit it on the head.Now its up to you,if you think you have to stroke him some to insure he'll continue with the future work,go as low as you can without losing money,or if he seems to be happy with the $200 and that is acceptable to you......

Comment

Working...
                X