Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for stateside supplier of H-Gate pickup covers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for stateside supplier of H-Gate pickup covers.

Axesrus have them here:

H Gate Humbucker Cover - Brass

Where can these be had stateside? I love these and have a couple designs I want to use specifically with these.

Those are brass covers. I'd rather get some nickel silver covers and machine them myself.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

How could they be easily machined?

Comment

Good question. I doubt very much that they could be easily machined as the nickel covers are very thin and the metal has been work-hardened in all likelihood.
        David's concern is undoubtedly that brass covers will exhibit higher eddy current losses and sound duller than a similar nickel silver cover. I think once the H has been cut out of the brass you may have eliminated the path for the worst offending eddy currents so it may not be as big an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
          I think once the H has been cut out of the brass you may have eliminated the path for the worst offending eddy currents so it may not be as big an issue.
          That's actually what the H cutout is for on Filter'trons... it's stated in the patent.

Yeah, I guess these wouldn't be so bad then.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
            That's actually what the H cutout is for on Filter'trons... it's stated in the patent.

Yeah, I guess these wouldn't be so bad then.
            I've made some prototypes with the Axerus ones and they're actually not bad at all.

The only caveat is they rust rather quickly on the inside.

HTH,
            Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
            Milano, Italy

Comment

So now that we're cool with them...anyone know where to get them in the usa?

Comment

I just wanted to give a +1 on Pepe's comment. They are quite alright those covers. I have used them on a few pickups already and even though they are a tad on the thick side they are really good.
                Unfortunately I can't help with a US source for them. Do you need a lot of them? If not I can always get a few for you and send your way. If interested, PM me

Comment

Double post, please delete

Comment

Pepe says "The only caveat is they rust rather quickly on the inside"
                    Are they steel??

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                      Pepe says "The only caveat is they rust rather quickly on the inside"
                      Are they steel??
                      They're chrome-plated brass.

I have two from the original purchase made over a year ago and they're both a bit rusted inside.

They're most probably from one of the big korean parts makers. I don't make big purchases, so I've never tried contact any of them personally.

HTH,
                      Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                      Milano, Italy

Comment

I have two that has been laying here for some time (more than a year I think) and the plating on the inside is really not very nice, think thin (outside is fine). However on mine I cannot see any rust or other type of oxidation. Might differ from batch to batch. I can verify that they are brass

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Naglitsch View Post
                          on mine I cannot see any rust or other type of oxidation. Might differ from batch to batch. I can verify that they are brass
                          I gave a second look and I spoke too soon. It's not rust, I think is wax residue...

Well, I've never said I was perfect, haven't I?

Man, I'm getting OOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                          Milano, Italy

Comment

Working...
                          X