Coil Winding Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil Winding Manual

"Coil Winding" by William Querfurth, published by George Stevens Mfg. Co. - 1st edition, 1954 - download the PDF version for free at the link below:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/45849334/Coil-Winding

Dr.X

Some cool stuff in there! I always wondered how they wind those RF "universal" wound coils. AFter reading this (well mostly looking at the pictures) I still don't get it!
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

You know, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to recreate older 'tube era' inductors, IF transformers, etc. if you already have a coil winder. A lot of those older inductors aren't made anymore (haven't been for a loooong time), but there are quite a few old ham radios, audio equipment, amplifiers, etc, still around which have these components inside. When they fail, there usually aren't any replacements obtainable.

Now, it might be possible to create or rewind older inductors (transformers too, maybe) as needed, instead of stocking a whole raft of them. There is one book that comes to mind that has tons of good coil fabrication data on the old stuff - the RCA Radiotron Designer's Handbook, 4th edition 1952. Even better, it's online and for free (although having a hard copy is very useful, when you can find them). The link is below:

http://frank.yueksel.org/other/RCA/R...ourth-Edition/

Again, lots of design theory. Most of the inductors (coils, IF transformers, RF chokes, etc) used years ago do not use anywhere near as much magnet wire as a pickup. Some IF cans use Litz wire (multistrand magnet wire). Old inductor catalogs from the 50's, 60's, 70's, and early 80's gave details about the construction of their products.

(I wonder how many amp designers (Trainwreck, maybe?) had dog-eared copies of this manual (1600 + pages, by the way) on their workbenches?)

Perhaps an interesting additional revenue stream?

Dr. X
      Last edited by DoctorX; 12-06-2012, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Very interesting chapter for you pickup winders out there in the RCA Radiotron Designers Handbook mentioned above: Chapter 26.

Dr. X

Comment

Coil Winding was immensely helpful to me in restoring my Model 230, which even George Stevens has no record of or information on. I suppose I learned a thing or two about coils too, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorX View Post
            "Coil Winding" by William Querfurth, published by George Stevens Mfg. Co. - 1st edition, 1954 - download the PDF version for free at the link below:

Coil Winding

Dr.X

Hey Doc, can you post this PDF somewhere that doesn't require having an account to download?
            -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
              Hey Doc, can you post this PDF somewhere that doesn't require having an account to download?
              Go to this link to find the pieces in .rar format; you will need winrar to put the pieces back together:

Coil Winding

Dr. X

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorX View Post
                Go to this link to find the pieces in .rar format; you will need winrar to put the pieces back together:

Coil Winding

Dr. X
                Another place that requires having an account to download, but thanks for the reply.
                -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
                  Another place that requires having an account to download, but thanks for the reply.
                  The file is too big to attach to a response. PM me your e-mail address and I will send it to you.

The geotech forum is a free sign up. As soon as you register with the site, you will be able to see the rar links and download the 7 parts of the document.

Dr.X

Comment

I have a copy that's a single PDF, which I cleaned up and ran through OCR software, making the text search/copy/paste-able. Email me if you want it.

Comment

Originally posted by ReWind View Post
                      I have a copy that's a single PDF, which I cleaned up and ran through OCR software, making the text search/copy/paste-able. Email me if you want it.
                      I sent you a PM
                      -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Sent to all those who provided an email address in their PMs.

If anyone else would like it, please email me at info(at)re-wind(dot)net
                        ...that way I will have your address to send it to. It's a 16.5MB PDF attachment.

I'm assuming this is ok, since it's listed for free online elsewhere now.

Comment

Originally posted by ReWind View Post
                          Sent to all those who provided an email address in their PMs.

If anyone else would like it, please email me at info(at)re-wind(dot)net
                          ...that way I will have your address to send it to. It's a 16.5MB PDF attachment.

I'm assuming this is ok, since it's listed for free online elsewhere now.
                          Got it, thanks JF
                          -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Working...
                          X