Mini auto-traversing winder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini auto-traversing winder

My latest project using Haydon Kerk dual-motion motor (NEMA 14 size).

It's pretty small but has plenty of torque by using the Phidgets 1063 bi-polar controller in "chopper" mode.

This controller has a function that controls acceleration/deceleration at start up and stop, which is very nice

There is no encoder but all of my test show the motor is accurate to within a few 16ths of a step (1 / 3200 of a rotation) over over a 7,500 wind.

Many other great features like Current Control on this board ... AND it runs off USB with .NET

The traverse movements are controlled by a Motor Hawk (from PC control in the UK) primarily because I had it lying around from an earlier project, and it's also USB running .NET. Traverse randomisation easily achievable by code to have"scatter" winding. Fixed traverse at user TPL also trivial programming task.

Here it is in action

I am in the midst of getting a mounting plate made ... then I need to find a suitable housing.

Tension will be by felt pads mounted between 2 plates. On one plate I've fixed a Flexiforce sensor beneath the felt to measure downward preasure of the upper pad. This gives me a reference point for future winding.

Here's a pic (with an AA battery to show scale)

$$$ COST TO DATE $$$
    Haydon motor ~ $25 off Ebay
    Phidgets 1063 ~ $75 from RobotShop
    Motor Hawk ~ $45 from PC Control UK
    Flexiforce sensor ~ $15
    Phidgets Flexforce adapter ~ $11
    12v 3A power ~ $0 from dead modem
    Wire Guide ~ $0 nylon nozzle tip from Super Glue pack
    Pololu Motor Mount ~ $0 recycled from old projects
    Last edited by Lyrebird Steve; 12-12-2012, 11:06 AM. Reason: Added Links

Very nice. If only I had the skill set to try something like this.

The motor having both linear and circular motion is extremely cool. In the video you are running at 600 rpm. Is the motor capable of greater speeds? Looking forward to see the first wind on this puppy!

Cool as it is, and it is. . . That ain't no cheap rig and that really isn't an inexpensive motor! At ~ $25, you pretty much stole it from the seller. WOW.
    Last edited by kayakerca; 12-12-2012, 05:20 PM.
    Take Care,

Jim. . .
    VA3DEF

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
      In the video you are running at 600 rpm. Is the motor capable of greater speeds? .
      The motor driver is limited to 32768 x 1/16 steps/sec ... my motor is 1.8 degree (200 steps per rev) ... doing the maths this max is 614.4 rpm

That ain't no cheap rig and that really isn't an inexpensive motor!
      Total cost will come in around $200. (StewMac Schatten winder is $400 ish) ... so it's half the cost of buying one and infinitely more flexible

Remember that I can be doing other things while it Winds away like building the bobbins and wiring and testing.

Anyhow, $200 is just a few sales away from recovering the costs

At ~ $25, you pretty much stole it from the seller. WOW.
      ... the best part is I get 5 of them !

Comment

Originally posted by Lyrebird Steve View Post

... the best part is I get 5 of them !
        Excellent! I'll give you $50 for one. You double your money on it and still have 3 in reserve.
        Take Care,

Jim. . .
        VA3DEF

Comment

That's a neat idea! Saves from having to make a traverse... you just need to have a wire tensioner and you are all set.

What's the software you are using to control it?
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

where do you buy that stuff?
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
              What's the software you are using to control it?
              Both of the USB controllers run .NET and come with all of the hard stuff done in Libraries that you add into the project. I coded in Visual Basic

Coding is dead easy just create a reference
              ' Phidgets stepper
              stepper = New Phidgets.Stepper
              stepper.open()

Then set the running Parameters
              stepper.steppers(0).Acceleration = 6400
              stepper.steppers(0).CurrentLimit = 1.23
              stepper.steppers(0).VelocityLimit = 32768

Then set current Position of stepper, where you'd like it to go ... and set it running
              stepper.steppers(0).CurrentPosition = 0
              stepper.steppers(0).TargetPosition = 16000
              stepper.steppers(0).Engaged = True

If you want it to run the other way set CurrentPosition = 16000 and TargetPosition = 0

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              where do you buy that stuff?T
              I get my Phidgets controllers and sensors from RobotShop.com
              Motors came from a guy on Ebay who had a large number that were recovered from (medical?) machines built but not deployed , so they are "near new". Just scan eBay for Haydon Stepper Motor (I think they are the only makers of dual-motion steppers)
              Last edited by Lyrebird Steve; 12-13-2012, 11:06 PM. Reason: added Ebay reference

Comment

Originally posted by Lyrebird Steve View Post

I get my Phidgets controllers and sensors from RobotShop.com
                Motors came from a guy on Ebay who had a large number that were recovered from (medical?) machines built but not deployed , so they are "near new". Just scan eBay for Haydon Stepper Motor (I think they are the only makers of dual-motion steppers)
                Well, for anyone thinking "WOW! This looks great!", I think they'd be right. It looks like a great combination of components for a real cool winder. But it may be a while before you get as lucky as Steve did with the price of the motor on ebay. They run $450 new.

Heavy sigh. . .
                Take Care,

Jim. . .
                VA3DEF

Comment

Well, for anyone thinking "WOW! This looks great!", I think they'd be right. It looks like a great combination of components for a real cool winder. But it may be a while before you get as lucky as Steve did with the price of the motor on ebay. They run $450 new.

Heavy sigh. . .
                  Double Sigh!
                  I guess I'll keep winding with my Egg Beater, or Yankee Drill.
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                    Double Sigh!
                    I guess I'll keep winding with my Egg Beater, or Yankee Drill.
                    Ya Terry, and it looked like it would be a fun little project. I'd already spec'd out in my mind how the motor mount bracket would be fabricated on my milling machine.

You made me look up "Yankee Drill" in Google. I guess being from the Great White North, I called it by a different name, 'cause I sure recognized it!
                    Last edited by kayakerca; 12-14-2012, 03:50 PM.
                    Take Care,

Jim. . .
                    VA3DEF

Comment

That's wild! I love that dual action motor. I'm thinking milling machine, simplified.

Comment

wow these screwy Stepper motors are still available!!

Haydon Switch and Instrument Linear and Rotary Stepper Drive | eBay
                        $40

transverse is 11mm, probably plenty for most pups, a Stepper Slave (or SL+)
                        https://www.pc-control.co.uk/ocart/i...&product_id=75
                        could probably run the whole shebang via USB and using limit switches could have you well on the way to un-attended winding.
                        Last edited by tedmich; 07-28-2015, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                          wow these screwy Stepper motors are still available!!

Haydon Switch and Instrument Linear and Rotary Stepper Drive | eBay
                          $40

transverse is 11mm, probably plenty for most pups, a Stepper Slave (or SL+)
                          https://www.pc-control.co.uk/ocart/i...&product_id=75
                          could probably run the whole shebang via USB and using limit switches could have you well on the way to un-attended winding.
                          The Haydon stepper on ebay is a bipolar 4 wire that runs on 2.33v/phase at 1.2A, see here
                          http://www.aviton.spb.ru/files/doc/p...kerk/35000.pdf
                          Last edited by tedmich; 07-29-2015, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                            The Haydon stepper on ebay is a bipolar 4 wire that runs on 2.33v/phase at 1.2A, see here
                            http://www.aviton.spb.ru/files/doc/p...kerk/35000.pdf
                            I use a Haydon bipolar stepper captive linear actuator for my traverser (which you can often pickup in the $30 - $50 range used on ebay or new for ~ $200). Something similar to this:

Haydon Model 43M4C 05 805ENG Stepper Motor Linear Actuators | eBay

Add a $15 stepper for the rotary and a couple of $95 Phidgets bipolar stepper controllers and you are on the road. Works flawlessly.

But, as I'm sure Steve will confirm, buying the hardware is the easy part of a ground up "auto traverse winder build" experience.
                            Take Care,

Jim. . .
                            VA3DEF
                            ____________________________________________________
                            In the immortal words of Dr. Johnny Fever, “When everyone is out to get you, paranoid is just good thinking.”

Comment

Wow! So many of my questions are answered in this thread. I'm looking to modify an old Geo Stevens with a CNC traverse. Thanks so much for all the info and links guys!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X