Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f.../049/6/6V6.pdf

Comment

It sure got my attention when I first stumbled onto that fact on Tube King's ebay site, loudthud! I wasn't even so sure about just clipping the pin~ just cuz I never did that before!

No one gave me permission or anything …it just seemed a logical way to try out the tube in my circuit without causing any harm. I assumed (and glad you mentioned it) that the 6L6y is the same. I have a pair of those too, but no circuit yet with the right plate voltage to give them a try.

Comment

Somewhere lurking around I've got a box of new metal tubes that I need to re-discover. The 6L6 are the 'small bottle' types (like the old Tung-Sol, but metal) but aren't much use in a modern amps due to the anode dissipation being so low. They were spares for industrial equipment, so I doubt audio characteristic was ever a consideration. I've also got some metal versions of the 807 too, with a top cap. I did try those out in a hi-fi amp and they sounded really nice but didn't look too good. There are also numerous preamp tubes - mainly 6SN7 and 6SL7, and a load of NOS KEN-RAD 6H6. Delightful little tubes but probably fairly useless (anyone got any ideas for audio use?) They looked a good buy at the time.

The 6V6 are probably the best buy for a 'vintage' tube. Radio fairs are a good bet - I've never paid more than £1 for a new metal tube.

Comment

6H6 is my favorite tube. I have absolutely no use for them, but I like the look of them. They look like a plug without a cable. Much cooler than the 6AL5.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I love the RCA metal 6L6. My first choice in the 6L6 type. There is an audible difference with these tubes that I like

Comment

What voltage to you usually have on the plates for the 6L6Y, Silvertone?

Comment

I used a metal can RCA 6V6 in a VHT Special 6 for quite a while with no problems. Definitely noticed the smell though. Because of the vacuum inside pretty much the only way the parts inside the tube are cooled is by radiating heat as infrared light. A tiny bit of heat may be conducted into the socket through the internal wiring and pins. In a glass tube most of the IR radiation from the plate escapes, but in a metal can that IR light is all hitting the can. Some is reflected back at the plate. Some is absorbed. Some that is absorbed is radiated back into the tube. Ultimately, all of the heat generated by the tube is going to be radiated outward by the outside of the metal envelope but all of the parts of the tube are going to be much hotter than they would in a glass tube. They are designed this way though and it's probably fine.

Comment

Originally posted by deci belle View Post
                  What voltage to you usually have on the plates for the 6L6Y, Silvertone?
                  I run them in a TFL 5005, and a 1484, in fact I run them both at the same time so whatever the stock voltages are with those amps. They both specify 6L6GC I believe but I have experienced no problems with them. Those old RCA 6L6's sound fantastic

Comment

Dang, Silvertone! I know the TFL5005 gets way up there around or almost 475~500v (please correct me if I'm wrong)! That's awesome that the 6L6y will work that high!!

Comment

Working...
                    X