Technics PX Digital Keyboard Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
    The 'next' item is to prove that the voltages are reaching the display board.
    Looks like +5A & +5B.
    The gate array ic is what turns on a few of the led's.(schem Page 24)
    I do not know how warm IC5 'should' get.
    It is the 'tone generator' IC.
    If that is bad, you are out of luck.
    I checked and there is +5V at 9 different points (all indicated in the schematic, page 24). I could only find +5B, NOT +5A. Am I missing something?

Somehow, I don't think that the tone generator (IC5) is affecting us at this point, since we are tracing power voltage.

So far, everything seems to be good, except that we have no lights or sound, a minor detail, I'm sure. Any other ideas? Thank you.

Nick

Comment

If you have voltage at the gate array, that leads me to think the main controller is not communicating with it.
      Why, I can't tell from here.

Comment

If you have voltage at the gate array, that leads me to think the main controller is not communicating with it.
        Why, I can't tell from here.
        Hi Jazz P Bass:

I appreciate you walking me through to this point. I have learned a lot just by following your instructions, along with the instructions earlier from Senior Member Enzo. Thanks guys, I appreciate your help. Hopefully I can eventually get to the bottom of this and fix the piano. Technics are excellent pianos, but if parts are not available, then you have to "play it by ear."

Nick

P.S. Does anyone know where I can get parts for this instrument? The big parts supply places don't carry them (although their websites don't make that clear) and Panasonic does not make them any more. Perhaps someone is scrapping one and would like to sell the boards?

Comment

All depends on what parts you NEED. Custom ICs might be hard to come by. Transistors and basic ICs are everywhere.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            All depends on what parts you NEED. Custom ICs might be hard to come by. Transistors and basic ICs are everywhere.
            By the looks of things, it needs a Main Board. Does anyone have a line on any of these kinds of parts (i.e., PCB's). I can prepare a list of part numbers if anyone needs this information. Thank you.

Nick

Comment

Technics
              One Panasonic Way
              Secaucus, NJ 07094
              (201) 392-6140
              fax (201) 348-7954

Comment

Technics
                One Panasonic Way
                Secaucus, NJ 07094
                (201) 392-6140
                fax (201) 348-7954
                Thank you for that information. From what I understand, Technics (Panasonic), no longer supplies parts for their Digital Pianos, so I was thinking about used parts from a Piano being scrapped, etc. I will, however, try calling Panasonic after Christmas and see if they can help. Have a great Christmas!

Nick

Comment

This is obviously a huge problem in these otherwise very nice pianos. I have been trying for years to get mine fixed and do not have the technical ability to do it myself. I live in Maine and no one here can fix it. I had a guy from Vermont come to look at it and he took the "15+ adapter" with him to his shop. He then ran me around and told me a number of tales!! Now he has the part and will not return it but it would appear that this is the issue. Same symptoms - turned it on one day, heard a pop, and then only the red light is on and nothing else. I like the piano and feel sick about trashing it but have now moved it twice and it simply is a piece of furniture now. Has anyone found someone to fix them hopefully in New England but I would ship it if necessary? It seems Panasonic takes no responsibility for the problem. I also had wondered about possibly buying another used one which might have that part intact but do not have the expertise to start that type of process.

Comment

Originally posted by CSPENCE54 View Post
                    This is obviously a huge problem in these otherwise very nice pianos. I have been trying for years to get mine fixed and do not have the technical ability to do it myself. I live in Maine and no one here can fix it. I had a guy from Vermont come to look at it and he took the "15+ adapter" with him to his shop. He then ran me around and told me a number of tales!! Now he has the part and will not return it but it would appear that this is the issue. Same symptoms - turned it on one day, heard a pop, and then only the red light is on and nothing else. I like the piano and feel sick about trashing it but have now moved it twice and it simply is a piece of furniture now. Has anyone found someone to fix them hopefully in New England but I would ship it if necessary? It seems Panasonic takes no responsibility for the problem. I also had wondered about possibly buying another used one which might have that part intact but do not have the expertise to start that type of process.
                    Hi:

As you can see, I had several members walking me through the troubleshooting process, but was unable to fix it myself. Through sheer coincidence, I found a place about 15 minutes from where I live that repairs these units. The technician actually reworked the main board (something regarding the solder joints failing on the main chip) and I now have a perfectly working piano. It cost me around $280.00 Canadian dollars, but I had to take the piano to his shop, which was really no problem. However, in your case, I think it would be quite difficult to ship the entire piano here (Cobourg, Ontario), but you may be able to speak to the technician and possibly send only the main board. His name is Ray Evans, and the name of his company is DocTronics. I will attach his business card to this reply but just in case it doesn't come through, his phone number is (905) 342-2868. I hope this helps.

NickDoctronics business card.pdf

Comment

Working...
                    X