old Ampeg square-magnet speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old Ampeg square-magnet speakers

I just got four of these old Ampeg speakers out of a 4x12 "bass cabinet." The guy wanted 300W Celestions put in and left these here. It was a full 8x10-size/shape fridge cab but with 4 12" speakers, the top and bottom separated internally by a heavy plywood board. Front ported, one port halfway up each side. Late 70s blue/silver grill cloth. I think it was labeled "V2 cabinet."

The speakers have lots of small tears in the surrounds, but are otherwise in ok shape. They have square ceramic magnets and are stamped with "580151-1 / 67-7640." 8 ohms.

Any idea what these are, what their power handling is, and whether I should bother with reconing them? Or just try to repair the tears? Are they actually bass speakers?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20121217_202522.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	470.8 KB
ID:	866998
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20121217_202454.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	438.0 KB
ID:	866999

Edit:
    Even though I believe the cab said "V2 cabinet" on the plate, it didn't look like other V2 cabinets. It had the bar-handle and wheels that the 8x10s typically have, along with the 8 little cups up top and the angled back top/bottom edges. Didn't have the three handles on the long side that the V2 cabinets I've seen have, and I think it was larger.
    Last edited by jamesmafyew; 12-18-2012, 01:41 AM. Reason: new info

Those are early Eminences or late CTS, same as used in V4 4x12" cabinet.
    Good for guitar, good for bass.
    Sound punchy but somewhat dark.
    I'd "paint" along each crack with some PVA/carpenter's glue with a thin artist brush from the outside, trying to get some through the slit, let them dry 1 day and reinforce them same way from the inside.
    Good for another 30 years
    Acoustic also used those square magnet speakers; a few MusicMan too.
    The idea is that 2 of them can stand a Twin or similar, so a 4x12" should stand any guitar head.
    And a V4 sized cabinet, although large and heavy, will provide good bass too.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Great, thanks. I'll do that. Any guess on a power rating figure? I thought most of the old Ampeg 12" stuff was 50W apiece, but I seem to remember the cab saying it was "120W." Of course, they might not have been original to that cab.

Apparently they are Eminence, a friend confirmed that the "67" is an Emi manufacturer code, and the "-7640" means they were made in the 40th week of 1976. Most of the other Ampeg/Eminence 12s I've seen (late 70s/early 80s) have larger dustcaps. I'm now quite curious about that cab they came out of. I've never seen a V2-labeled 4x12 cab shaped like an SVT 8x10 with V4 speakers in it. But I've certainly not seen all old Ampeg gear by any stretch. I even saw a prototype V4 which had distortion and a 6AN8 PI but also the earlier-model 6K11 mid control stage.

Comment

Working...
      X