This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ReWind View Post
    If I'm thinking of the same RI pickup, it should be just a regular humbucker with a bar magnet inside and could very likely benefit from a rewind. I would lean towards thicker wire and lower turn counts, personally. Formvar, if you're feeling wild?
    I agree with the bigger wire, but no one has commissoned the rewind.
    So I guess it will stay like it is for now.
    I don't have a real bass amp to test it on, but it sounded dark to me.
    These two guys, Marty and Justin like Dark.
    The only way I could get the Bridge Pickup I made Dark enough for Marty's Agile LP, was to put a large Cap on the tone Pot.
    He loves it that way, he has sent me a half a dozen emails telling me everyone loves the Bridge Pickup now.
    On the Bass Neck pickup, If I got to rewind it, I would probably go with some Larger 42 SPN,(.0275") or Regular sized 42 HPN.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

• I'm curious what the WR bass pickup looks like under the cover probably same as the guitar version
      Heres a Reissue from Japan that I took a couple pics of ,I rewound but converted to alnico rods it came out sounding more like the original

"UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        I agree with the bigger wire, but no one has commissoned the rewind.
        So I guess it will stay like it is for now.
        I don't have a real bass amp to test it on, but it sounded dark to me.
        These two guys, Marty and Justin like Dark.
        The only way I could get the Bridge Pickup I made Dark enough for Marty's Agile LP, was to put a large Cap on the tone Pot.
        He loves it that way, he has sent me a half a dozen emails telling me everyone loves the Bridge Pickup now.
        On the Bass Neck pickup, If I got to rewind it, I would probably go with some Larger 42 SPN,(.0275") or Regular sized 42 HPN.
        T
        My Bass Player Justin, Picked up the Tele Bass.
        He Brought me two more to work on.
        A Fender J-Bass Clone, or Fake, it says Fender, but It is probably a PartsCaster.
        I put Pickups, Pots, Jack, and rewired it all.
        sounds pretty decent.
        The Other Bass is in Pieces, in a box.
        It's an old 80s Fender J-P Bass made in Japan.
        The Pickups are made with black forbon, and the Magnets are 1/4 inch A5 alnico magnets.
        I have them all stripped, and ready to rewind tomorrow.
        Anxious to hear what they sound like, when I get done with them.
        Anyone come across the P and J bass pickups with the 1/4 inch rod magnets?
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

My Bass Player Justin, Picked up the Tele Bass.
          He Brought me two more to work on.
          A Fender J-Bass Clone, or Fake, it says Fender, but It is probably a PartsCaster.
          I put Pickups, Pots, Jack, and rewired it all.
          sounds pretty decent.
          The Other Bass is in Pieces, in a box.
          It's an old 80s Fender J-P Bass made in Japan.
          The Pickups are made with black forbon, and the Magnets are 1/4 inch A5 alnico magnets.
          I have them all stripped, and ready to rewind tomorrow.
          Anxious to hear what they sound like, when I get done with them.
          Anyone come across the P and J bass pickups with the 1/4 inch rod magnets?
          T
          Anything I can help with ?.......................this shit gives me wood
          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

• Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
            Anything I can help with ?.......................this shit gives me wood
            TMI
            T
            Terry

Comment

• Was winding up a set as part of a new loaded pickguard I'm putting together for a CV60 I pickup up a while back. The DCR was ~ 10% and pre-magnetized Inductance ~ 25% less than I would have expected for the number of turns and how full the bobbin looked. My first Oops! Just shows how new and inexperienced a hobbyist I am at this point in time.

The next one was bang on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oops.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	830142
              Take Care,

Jim. . .
              VA3DEF

Comment

• I worked most of the day on the Bass in a Box.
                I rewound the pickups, and have it semi wired.
                I need some parts.
                Not sure what kind of Jack it originally had.
                something long and skinny.
                Need to get a bonanna Jack plate, and drill a bigger hole for a conventional type jack.
                Needs a 3 way switch too.
                I wonder if Mojo is open tomorrow, on Labor Day?
                T
                Terry

Comment

• Got the Jazz Precision Special made in Japan Bass Running today.
                  It really Thunders, I am very impressed with the Pickups with the large .255" A5 Magnets.
                  Under wound the P-Bucker a bit, and OverWound the J-Bridge a bit.
                  Came out with very good balance.
                  I think the Owner will be very Pleasantly surprised.
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

• I have been making some bass pickups lately.
                    Not my normal type of work, but has been interesting.
                    P-Bass Pickups can be wired a variety of ways.
                    Was wondering how the rest of the guys wire them.
                    I ended up winding both CCW, one south up and one North up.
                    I tied the 2 start leads together, and put output on one Finish lead, and ground on the other finish lead.
                    How Do You wire them?
                    Some of the older ones use the brass ground plate under the Pickups.
                    T
                    Last edited by big_teee; 09-05-2013, 05:33 PM.
                    Terry

Comment

• My Bass Player picked up the 2 Basses that I reworked for him.
                      He Liked them a lot.
                      He Took those, and dropped off 3 Guitars that need some Work.
                      So right now I have 3 guitars to work on, 2 Speaker Cabs to fix and modify.
                      And When I get caught up they want 2 custom Heads built, the 50 watt guitar amp I have started.
                      The Other Head will probably be a 100 watt bass head with 4 6550s, or 4 KT88s.
                      That one is a ways off.
                      Probably be winter before I get to that one.
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

• I have a Ibanez SoundGear SR300L left hand Bass that I traded for used.
                        It has the large long soapbar pickups.
                        It has always had a white noise when you plug into an amp.
                        With everything turned down it still had the annoying noise.
                        I just tore it all apart and made it passive.
                        I currently have it wired like a J bass with 2 volume, and one tone.
                        The pickups are standard 2 wire hum canceling pickups.
                        The neck is a 13k pickup, and the bridge is a 10.5k pickup.
                        I tried them that way in a passive setup, and the bridge seemed thinner and weak.
                        I rotated the pickups and put the 10.5k at the neck and the 13k at the bridge.
                        I like it much better that way.
                        I was surprised, but I like the bass much better wired in the passive mode.
                        I bought some of the soapbar covers, and I am fixing to build some new humbuckers for it.
                        I plan on putting a 3 way switch in the extra Hole I have.
                        Will probably install a mini switch between the controls to split the humbuckers.
                        I will keep you posted on how it turns out.
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

• Import guitar trading

I traded a SX Black strat with Maple Neck, for a Blue SX with 2 pickguards and a Rosewood neck.
                          The unused pickguard is a fat strat type with two humbuckers.
                          It has chrome over brass covers.
                          I decided to rewind the pickups and leave the chrome tone Sucking covers off.
                          When I unsoldered the covers, which turned out to be a real chore because of the ROHS solder.
                          You have to get the ROHS solder so hot, I didn't think anything would survive the heat.
                          I finally got them off and the neck pickup has 2 black 50mm bobbins.
                          The bridge had the wider spaced 53mm, and the surprise was one bobbin is red, and one bobbin is green.
                          I was really surprised on the christmas colored bobbins.
                          So I decided to go back with both P/Us 50mm in creme.
                          Moral of the story when you take import pickups apart, you never know what you're going to get!
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

I have a Ibanez SoundGear SR300L left hand Bass that I traded for used.
                            It has the large long soapbar pickups.
                            It has always had a white noise when you plug into an amp.
                            With everything turned down it still had the annoying noise.
                            I just tore it all apart and made it passive.
                            I currently have it wired like a J bass with 2 volume, and one tone.
                            The pickups are standard 2 wire hum canceling pickups.
                            The neck is a 13k pickup, and the bridge is a 10.5k pickup.
                            I tried them that way in a passive setup, and the bridge seemed thinner and weak.
                            I rotated the pickups and put the 10.5k at the neck and the 13k at the bridge.
                            I like it much better that way.
                            I was surprised, but I like the bass much better wired in the passive mode.
                            I bought some of the soapbar covers, and I am fixing to build some new humbuckers for it.
                            I plan on putting a 3 way switch in the extra Hole I have.
                            Will probably install a mini switch between the controls to split the humbuckers.
                            I will keep you posted on how it turns out.
                            T
                            Update.
                            I replace the two pickups with my soapbar humbuckers.
                            I rewired the Pots like a Jazz bass, two volume, and one tone.
                            I put a LP type 3 way switch in the remaining 4th hole.
                            I had to do some dremel tool work to relieve the control cavity to make room for the switch.
                            It all works great, and I really like thepassive soapbar buckers.
                            Is now a very functional no hum, no noise bass.
                            T
                            Last edited by big_teee; 12-18-2013, 04:36 PM.
                            Terry

Comment

• So Does everyone have a Winter project going?
                              I had a rush of folks around christmas, but been pretty slow lateley.
                              I usually work on some new ideas this time of year.
                              I have been messing again with the sidewinder, and the magnet blade humbuckers, both guitar and bass.
                              Finally figuring out some of the little mysteries about winding now and then!
                              So What Hot Project are you working on?
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

So Does everyone have a Winter project going?
                                I had a rush of folks around christmas, but been pretty slow lateley.
                                I usually work on some new ideas this time of year.
                                I have been messing again with the sidewinder, and the magnet blade humbuckers, both guitar and bass.
                                Finally figuring out some of the little mysteries about winding now and then!
                                So What Hot Project are you working on?
                                T
                                Just finished a Jaguar bridge pickup, for one of my customers. He just wanted a hotter pickup than the stock one, and one that would be darker, more like a humbucker. For some reason that particular pickup that he wanted to replace really had pretty low output. I couldn't find anything really wrong with it, but it was not nearly as loud the neck pickup. Of course you have to expect some of that even if the two were identical, just because of their placement relative to the strings. I measured it and it was 6.5K and read 82mv output with my test rig which reads about 100 for a normal strat pickup. So I wound him a new one rather than to rewind that one, or actually I wound two of them. I used the Mojo parts and A5 mags and 43 SPN and ended up with one that measured 102mv, but it was still not as loud as I wanted, so I wound him a second one and got it up to 129. That one was 12000 turns of #44 SPN and it was still not muddy. After comparing both pickups in my test guitar, I put the hotter one in the customer's guitar yesterday and it sounded pretty good. He is going to pick it up tomorrow so we will see if he likes it. Those are the first two Jaguar pickups I have done.

That's about the only pickup winding I have done this month, but I have quite a bit of other work in the shop, like restoration work on an old 1930's jumbo acoustic and a couple of setups and pickup installs. At one point a couple of weeks back, I had seven guitars in the shop, and a couple of rewinds too. I've whittled that down to four at the moment, one of which is done. For a while there right after the first of the year it was busier than I really would like to be.
                                www.sonnywalton.com
                                How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

Working...
                                X