Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a roll of wire that keeps breaking, hanging up on one end.
    It is a 5 inch roll of 42 SPN Natural wire I bought from Remington late last year.
    It was real full and weighed nearly 8 lbs new.
    I have used less than one pound so far.
    The problem is it has loops on the end that go down under the wire.
    When I'm unspooling while P/U winding, it will get down to the end and break.
    It has done this over and over.
    One time it broke, with no end sticking up, and I had a time getting a place started again to unroll it.
    I am going to call remington industries, monday, and see what I have to do to get a replacement.
    I think Sonny had a similar deal with a spool of wire.
    I will post what the outcome is.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      I have a roll of wire that keeps hanging up on one end.
      It is a 5 inch roll of 42 SPN Natural wire I bought from Remington late last year.
      When I'm unspooling in winding, it will get down to the end and break.
      One time it broke, with no end sticking up, and I had a time getting a place started again to unroll it.
      I am going to call remington industries, monday, and see what I have to do to get a replacement.
      T
      Are you using it with the labeled side up?? I use the 1lb roll right now but, I found that if I use it upside down, it tends to snag. I hope this helps.

-Rob

Comment

I have a roll of wire that keeps breaking, hanging up on one end.
        When I'm unspooling while P/U winding, it will get down to the end and break.
        T
        Yes I did. They were really good about it. I didn't even get through the first pickup until the wire broke it was an 9.9 pound spool of 42 spn. So I fished out (kindof) a new end and tried again, same thing. Before long I had 16 loose ends and no pickups wound. I took a photo and sent it to Remington and explained and asked them if they knew how to get down to a free end. They said it might be "cascading". That's where the tension was wrong when it was spooled . They told me to ship the roll back and they would check it and if it had "cascading" they would replace it. I did and they did. The next roll was fine.
        Last edited by SonnyW; 02-23-2013, 09:03 PM.
        www.sonnywalton.com
        How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
          Yes I did. They were really good about it. I didn't even get through the first pickup until the wire broke it was an 9.9 pound spool of 42 spn. So I fished out (kindof) a new end and tried again, same thing. Before long I had 16 loose ends and no pickups wound. I took a photo and sent it to Remington and explained and asked them if they knew how to get down to a free end. They said it might be "cascading". That's where the tension was wrong when it was spooled . They told me to ship the roll back and they would check it and if it had "cascading" they would replace it. I did and they did. The next roll was fine.
          Good to know that they took good care of you! After all, I guess they're jut gonna throw it into the smelter and make more.

-Rob

Comment

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
            Are you using it with the labeled side up?? I use the 1lb roll right now but, I found that if I use it upside down, it tends to snag. I hope this helps.

-Rob
            I turned it every which way but loose!
            I have about 6 other big rolls of assorted wires, and this one is the only one that is, F-d Up!
            I will give Larry at Remington a call Monday!
            Thanks for your info Sonny.
            Last night put me over the top with it, My patience is gone.
            Sonny, Did you have to pay the shipping to ship it back to them?
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Last night put me over the top with it, My patience is gone.
              Sonny, Did you have to pay the shipping to ship it back to them?
              T
              They would have paid the shipping and did send me their UPS # but I had already gone ahead and put it on my own account because I was in a rush, and my local UPS store won't let me use another account # unless the account owner is the one that prints the shipper. Your UPS might be different on that rule. Anyway I didn't want to wait for the shipper label to come in the mail. The roll they sent back was enough bigger than the one I sent that I came out close enough to all the same and I saved a day or two, because I needed the wire. I waited until I ran out of all I had to start the new roll, and by the way I had had it sitting around for a good while, I can't remember exactly maybe even six months or more.
              www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
                Good to know that they took good care of you! After all, I guess they're jut gonna throw it into the smelter and make more.

-Rob
                Actually I bet they sent it back to Elektrisola and got a credit. It was factory spooled. Every one of the breaks happened in exactly the same spot within an inch or so along one edge.
                www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
                  They would have paid the shipping and did send me their UPS # but I had already gone ahead and put it on my own account because I was in a rush, and my local UPS store won't let me use another account # unless the account owner is the one that prints the shipper. Your UPS might be different on that rule. Anyway I didn't want to wait for the shipper label to come in the mail. The roll they sent back was enough bigger than the one I sent that I came out close enough to all the same and I saved a day or two, because I needed the wire. I waited until I ran out of all I had to start the new roll, and by the way I had had it sitting around for a good while, I can't remember exactly maybe even six months or more.
                  I found the email when I bought the wire.
                  I was waiting on remington to get the red, and it never came.
                  So I was completely out when I got the 7.55lb spool of the natural.
                  It broke right away, mine was screwing up at first on both ends.
                  I finally got it cleared out for a while.
                  Last night It hung up about 10 times.
                  I was just about to the Sledge hammer routine, but decided I needed enough to turn back in.
                  I will weigh it tomorrow, but I'm sure I have 6-7 lbs or so left.
                  I shortly after that got a 6-1/2 lb spool of the red.
                  The problem with the red it is real small.
                  It barely measures .0025".
                  The natural is a little over .0026".
                  The size is enough that you can hear the difference.
                  The .0025 red is handy for certain things, but I like the bigger for neck pickups.
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

The problem with the red it is real small.
                    It barely measures .0025".
                    Thats just not acceptable to me. Elektrisola seems to have drifted towards the Min side of the scale and it also seems that they use less copper and more insulation than they used to. Almost all other wire I have here has less resistance than the newer Elektrisola wire per the same build and OD.

Heres a 7.77 lb spool from Remington that got dropped at Remington and yet still made it to the brown truck.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1868.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	828178

When it showed up at my place I called Josh, told him what happened, sent him a picture of the damaged spool. He said if I have any issues just let him know and he'll make good on it.
                    I would have sent it back but it was the exact size OD I was looking for.

I have to flip it upside down to de-spool without catching on the crack and the first pound or two felt a little kinky due to the damage but I think it's almost past the dented part of the wire so hopefully it'll be ok.

Remington is ok in my book.

Comment

This reminds me of when I managed to accidentally knock something sharp into the side of a half used spool. I had about a dozen breaks on the spool, took a whole morning of respooling until I eventually got the breaks out. It was Formvar too so it looked like someone had shaved a ginger clown wig in the shop!

Comment

Originally posted by davos View Post
                        This reminds me of when I managed to accidentally knock something sharp into the side of a half used spool. I had about a dozen breaks on the spool, took a whole morning of respooling until I eventually got the breaks out. It was Formvar too so it looked like someone had shaved a ginger clown wig in the shop!
                        I bought a used roll of 42 HFV once from a friend.
                        It set it his woodworking shop.
                        He had accidently dripped some lacquer or epoxy on the end of the spool.
                        It was a small drop, but every time the wire got to that point, it broke.
                        It took a while but it finally cleaned up.
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

I'm working on a Mini Bucker project.
                          This is an alternative to making the firebird mini bucker with the magnets in the bobbins.
                          This pickup will use steel blades in conjunction with a large humbucker magnet on the bottom.
                          Pictures illustrate the replacing of the mini screws with a hand made blade.
                          Picture 1 & 2 shows using the mini screws, like a regular Gibson mini deluxe.
                          This layout would require a cover with screw holes.
                          Picture 3 & 4 shows replacing the screws with a blade type slug.
                          I cut the blades from some scrap sheet steel.
                          The blade is against the magnet on one side like the screw type pickup.
                          The other blade slug is shorter and sits on top of the edge of the magnet.
                          This allows the use of a No holes cover.
                          I will test this pickups with different magnet types.
                          I will show pictures of it assembled later after I put it together.
                          Last edited by big_teee; 03-04-2013, 03:30 AM.
                          Terry

Comment

Here are more pics of the pickup after wiring the bobbin, and one with the cover sitting on it.
                            The Mini is one pickup with very little assembly documentation, thought this might help someone else to build one.
                            This pickup will be used in the Neck position of a custom Tele build.
                            Last edited by big_teee; 02-27-2013, 02:47 AM.
                            Terry

Comment

I'm working on a Mini Bucker project.
                              This is an alternative to making the firebird mini bucker with magnets in place of blades.
                              This pickup will use steel blades in conjunction with a large humbucker magnet on the bottom.
                              Pictures illustrate the replacing of the mini screws with a hand made blade.
                              Picture 1 & 2 shows using the mini screws, like a regular Gibson mini deluxe.
                              This layout would require a cover with screw holes.
                              Picture 3 & 4 shows replacing the screws with a blade type slug.
                              I cut the blades from some scrap sheet steel.
                              The blade is against the magnet on one side like the screw type pickup.
                              The other blade slug is shorter and sits on top of the edge of the magnet.
                              This allows use of a No holes cover.
                              I will test this pickups with different magnet types.
                              I will show pictures of it assembled later after I put it together.
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]22127[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22128[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22129[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22130[/ATTACH]
                              Update and summary of the pickup.
                              I ended up using a fully charged A2 magnet.
                              The DCR is in the 5.8-6K range.
                              I made the blades where they stick up a little above the bobbins.
                              The Cover Rest on the blades, no air between the blades and the cover.
                              The pickup was microphonic at high gain, until potting.
                              Very sweet warm Highs, but it still has good Lows.
                              If your in the Market for a Mini, give this method a try.
                              Terry

Comment

Interesting. I'd like to wind a Firebird pickup for my dot one day.

Comment

Working...
                                X