This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mcgruff View Post
    Interesting. I'd like to wind a Firebird pickup for my dot one day.
    You will probably need some custom mounting rings made
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Missed it by that much!

I was screwing around with a "new to me" lefty Tele. I built a new bridge pickup but I didn't like the .688" D string pole because I couldn't get the coil close enough to the strings (wasn't thinking about the compound radius on the fret board when I built the bobbin) so I took the top flat work off of the pickup to swap out the .688" for a .671"

Everything was going fine until I went to hammer the new D pole in with my fret hammer.

Somehow the hammer bounced off the new rod magnet and landed two whole pole pieces away where it wound up nicking the coil...... dead

Heres a few pics of the "repair". You can see the damage to the coil just above the 2nd pole from the right in the second picture.

It's pretty funny now that it's all fixed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LH T top off1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	990.6 KB
ID:	828445 Click image for larger version

Name:	LH tele dead1.JPG
Size:	987.9 KB
ID:	828446 Click image for larger version

Name:	LH Tele remains.JPG
Size:	976.1 KB
ID:	828447
      Last edited by Stratz; 03-16-2013, 06:54 AM.

Comment

I have been having some snagging issues with a large spool on 42PE I got from Remington also. I sanded the top lip and it helped. I had to adjust where the spool sits between my legs and how for me feeding hand is when I am winding and it seems to have improved.
        I hate it when it breaks after that first few thousand winds!!

Comment

Originally posted by RCI Guitars View Post
          I have been having some snagging issues with a large spool on 42PE I got from Remington also.
          Try unwinding a few hundred winds gently by hand, it should fall off of the spool.

I just had to send back about 4 lbs of an 8 lb spool I was having problems with. It was all kinky coming off the spool and very rough coming off as well.

It felt like the wire was wound too tight when they manufactured it.

First spool of Elektrasola that I ever had issues with.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
            Try unwinding a few hundred winds gently by hand, it should fall off of the spool.

I just had to send back about 4 lbs of an 8 lb spool I was having problems with. It was all kinky coming off the spool and very rough coming off as well.

I still have that nearly full spool I've had trouble with.
            It is Elecktrisola 42SPN Natural.
            It has loop wind overs.
            Just all of a sudden it will break on the end at the same place.
            Trouble is, it is great wire and a nice size, and I hate to send it back.
            So far now I still have it.
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Hey Stratz:
              Did you get a Recall answer on this?
              I hope they sent you a big ole Fat spool for compensation!
              T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                Hey Stratz:
                Did you get a Recall answer on this?
                I hope they sent you a big ole Fat spool for compensation!
                T
                I got the new spool yesterday. Same OD but the ohms per 1,000 ft is off by a bit

I estimated my screwed up spool had about 4 lbs left on it so Larry sent me 4.5 lbs . I'll find out how much it weighs at the post office Tomorrow. They didn't supply any pre paid shipping label so I'll have to eat that.

Cant complain really. They've been very good to me through many purchases .

I hate to send it back though, I think the kinkiness of the wire made some of the pickups I wound with it sound a little better than normal

Comment

I got the new spool yesterday. Same OD but the ohms per 1,000 ft is off by a bit

I estimated my screwed up spool had about 4 lbs left on it so Larry sent me 4.5 lbs . I'll find out how much it weighs at the post office Tomorrow. They didn't supply any pre paid shipping label so I'll have to eat that.

Cant complain really. They've been very good to me through many purchases .

I hate to send it back though, I think the kinkiness of the wire made some of the pickups I wound with it sound a little better than normal
                  Secret recipe on the kinky wire!
                  Are you using the AFX magnets, or some secret formula?
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                    Secret recipe on the kinky wire!
                    Are you using the AFX magnets, or some secret formula?
                    T
                    I use all different kinds of magnets. Just got another bag of NOS fender A5 rods from my Dad

Comment

I use all different kinds of magnets. Just got another bag of NOS fender A5 rods from my Dad
                      I can help you store some, if you have too many?
                      Terry

Comment

So what is Everyone working on?
                        It's been pretty quiet lately.
                        I've been busy on everything but Pickups.
                        Farming and Mechanicing mostly.
                        I will try to get back on the Stack Strat Set.
                        I have the bobbins wound and the bottom flatwork cut out.
                        Need to finish the neck and middle to go with the Bridge I already have in the guitar.
                        Oh, and speaking of Pickups, I have a Pickup Bed to pull and a electric fuel pump to install, on my 2000 Silverado!
                        I'm retired, but never a dull moment!
                        Rock Steady!
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

Just installed Jimmy Page wiring in my Epiphone dot last night. I'm in tone heaven; adds lots of great new sounds. Combined with new humbuckers - made with help from this forum - the guitar has been transformed from boiled cabbage into barbecued ribs with hot sauce. With some good advice, my first attempts at winding have really hit the target.

Next step is to experiment with small variations in the humbucker design. In particular I'm looking for a good split tone so I've been experimenting with slug coil taps, and then splitting at the screw & tap.

After that, I'll maybe have a go at some original style dual blade Firebird pups. Might work quite well in a 335. Cermag seems to have some Firebird magnets: Alnico V and 52 x 3.2 x 8. Does that sound about right?

Comment

Been working on some blade buckers for Strat and Tele . I have very little experience with ceramic magnets and that's slowing me down.
                            I used 43 gauge on one intended for a Tele bridge and it sounds ok but it has a mid-range hump that I don't like. I don't know if it's because of the ceramic magnet or the wire size that I used.

Any opinions if I should go to 42 gauge or a stay with the 43 and use little less wire on each bobbin?

Comment

When I used the factory curved blades, and my guitars are a flatter radius, I had to much mid range.
                              I started making my own blades and went to a slightly raised straight blade, and All was good.
                              I don't like real bright bridge pickups, so I always tune my bridges a bit darker, maybe darker than you like.
                              If your using a tone on the bridge, you can go to a bigger pot.
                              I have a tele player that i build for, and he runs a 250k volume, and a 1 meg tone pot, and a .047uf tone cap.
                              He can roll more of the cap off with the 1 meg tone cap, and it gives him more range.
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

Did you ever try just flipping the radiused blades so the flat side faces up?

My problem is that I don't have much experience using ceramics so I don't know if It's the 43 gauge wire or the ceramic magnet or a combination of both.... or what.

Comment

Working...
                                X