This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
    Did you ever try just flipping the radiused blades so the flat side faces up?

My problem is that I don't have much experience using ceramics so I don't know if It's the 43 gauge wire or the ceramic magnet or a combination of both.... or what.
    No I didn't try that.
    I thought they cost too much to have to alter, I just make my own blades.
    You will have to just make a bunch of different winds to find what you like.
    I bet you will figure it out.
    I did the 44 SPN, that was what I liked best, on the bridge.
    I like the low winds for the neck and middle.
    Maybe others will jump in and tell what they like.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I may have an Amp kit to build, for a friend.
      That should keep me busy, if I do!
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

I picked up a set of My Humbuckers with polished nickel covers, that were on consignment in a guitar shop.
        They were there maybe a year, they ended up in the bottom of a display case out of site and out of mind.
        I picked them up and brought them home, cause no-one was looking at them because they were not visible.
        I took the covers off and checked them out and recharged the magents, cause I wasn't even sure what magnets were in them.
        Put the covers back on as low and tight as I could get. Then lightly repotted them with the covers on for a few minutes.
        The Neck is 7.25k, and the bridge is 9.75k, a bit overwound. These both have 4 wire hookup wire. Wound with 42SPN.
        I tested them in a test SG type guitar last night on my JCM800 Clone.
        Wow, IMO These two pickups sounded as good as anything I've heard in a while.
        So, long story short, I think the price may have gone up!
        T
        **What are you working on, we would like to hear?
        Last edited by big_teee; 05-13-2013, 05:38 PM.
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          I picked up a set of My Humbuckers with polished nickel covers, that were on consignment in a guitar shop.
          They were there maybe a year, they ended up in the bottom of a display case out of site and out of mind.
          I picked them up and brought them home, cause no-one was looking at them because they were not visible.
          I took the covers off and checked them out and recharged the magents, cause I wasn't even sure what magnets were in them.
          Put the covers back on as low and tight as I could get. Then lightly repotted them with the covers on for a few minutes.
          The Neck is 7.25k, and the bridge is 9.75k, a bit overwound. These both have 4 wire hookup wire. Wound with 42SPN.
          T
          I read a lot about pickups sounds, but can you post sound samples with a spec of the amp configuration? I would like to hear those babies ...

Comment

Originally posted by cenizasblancas View Post
            I read a lot about pickups sounds, but can you post sound samples with a spec of the amp configuration? I would like to hear those babies ...
            Sorry, Not that great of a Player here!
            I'll leave the demos for you Pros.
            Terry

Comment

T
              Wasn't really Trying, but They SOLD Yesterday!
              Moral of the story, I should picked them up from the music store sooner.

What projects do you have going?
              Last edited by big_teee; 05-15-2013, 05:06 PM.
              Terry

Comment

Sorry, Not that great of a Player here!
                I'll leave the demos for you Pros.
                I think that a guitarist really needs to play pickups himself to judge their sound and response so sound samples aren't necessarily that useful- I would place more credence on your evaluation of them.

Some winders offer a free "redo" within 30 days like if the customer thinks that the pickup is too hot or not hot enough- or whatever. That does cost the winder money but it should be factored into the sell price.

Steve Ahola

P.S. Do you think that your post here had anything to do with the sale of the pickups? Had I read your post earlier I might have wanted to buy them myself.
                The Blue Guitar
                www.blueguitar.org
                Some recordings:
                https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                  I think that a guitarist really needs to play pickups himself to judge their sound and response so sound samples aren't necessarily that useful- I would place more credence on your evaluation of them.

Some winders offer a free "redo" within 30 days like if the customer thinks that the pickup is too hot or not hot enough- or whatever. That does cost the winder money but it should be factored into the sell price.

Steve Ahola

P.S. Do you think that your post here had anything to do with the sale of the pickups? Had I read your post earlier I might have wanted to buy them myself.
                  I emailed a friend customer, that I had them and he bought them sight unseen, trusting what I told him.
                  I apologize if my posts look like I was advertising, I wasn't.
                  I was surprised twice.
                  I was surprised how good they sounded.
                  Then I was surprised again how fast I sold them.
                  I'm really phasing down quite a bit.
                  I'm retired, and don't want to do to much.
                  Next I'm going to try to reduce my stock in loaded Strat Pickguards.
                  I may be listing some of them in the Flea Market area.
                  So, Last week I traded some stuff for a wah pedal, this week I got rid of the NickelBuckers.
                  Who knows what is in store for next week.
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

NickelBuckers.
                    NickelBuckers ?
                    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

• Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                      NickelBuckers ?
                      Nickel covered Humbuckers, Thus NickelBuckers for short!
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                        T
                        So could those be similar to 50% winds of a dimebucker??
                        www.sonnywalton.com
                        How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

T
                          OH good
                          I thought (just for a second ) Nickelback endorsed your pickups......
                          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

• Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                            OH good
                            I thought (just for a second ) Nickelback endorsed your pickups......
                            I wish!
                            I like nickelback.
                            Saw them on cable a while back.
                            There is still some pretty good rock and roll , if you weed thru the Rap, and Crap!
                            Terry

Comment

• Beginner/Hobbyist

Beginner/Hobbyist, I love It.
                              Don't know when we got the Sub-Forum Name Change, but I Dig it.
                              That pretty much describes my Winding, a little bit Beginner, and a little bit Hobbyist!
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

Beginner/Hobbyist, I love It.
                                Don't know when we got the Sub-Forum Name Change, but I Dig it.
                                That pretty much describes my Winding, a little bit Beginner, and a little bit Hobbyist!
                                T
                                It's nice; it removes the connotation that people who discuss here don't know a thing. Will probably encourage more discussion.

-Rob

Comment

Working...
                                X