• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B/H Round Table & Misc

Welcome to Round Table #2.
    T
    **Edit
    Here's the Link for closed Round Table #1.
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/t29910/
    Last edited by big_teee; 11-13-2018, 03:28 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    Welcome to Round Table #2.
    T
    As I was about to say on the old thread, Craig (Copper) is probably working the wood grinding seismic line routine and not too near the internet tonight so I win!!! HA. And yes it is a blast to work on that old relic as bastardized as it may be. It does have a great accoustic tone.
    www.sonnywalton.com
    How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
      As I was about to say on the old thread, Craig (Copper) is probably working the wood grinding seismic line routine and not too near the internet tonight so I win!!! HA. And yes it is a blast to work on that old relic as bastardized as it may be. It does have a great accoustic tone.
      There maybe I have it all linked and fixed up.
      I didn't know if he was around tonight or not.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

There maybe I have it all linked and fixed up.
        I didn't know if he was around tonight or not.
        Last I heard he was out in the field working his other job. Looks great all linked up nice.
        www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

used 50mm bobbins, keeper bar and enlarged the baseplate screw holes just a little bit.
          Thanks Terry. I think you just solved a problem that I've been trying to get around without buying any new base plates. I'm assuming that both the Mojo 50mm and 49.2mm bobbins have the same spacing for the mounting screw holes. Is this correct?????

I have a lot of 50mm HB stuff and I need a set of buckers with gold covers and one set with chrome covers (the customer insisted on chrome). Try finding a good quality gold or chrome cover in 50mm.......

I bought two gold and two chrome 50mm covers from a popular vendor and as I was putting the gold cover on one of the pickups I had my LCR meter hooked up and I watched the Q drop right through the floor. Way too much copper underneath the gold plating. Same thing with chrome covers. Both sounded absolutely terrible. Totally killed the tone of the pickup.
          I got away with using polished nickel covers for the chrome set but it seems that good quality gold and chrome covers only come in 49.2 mm.

I don't usually pot my humbuckers but if I can get away with drilling a 50mm base plate to take 49.2mm bobbin spacing I'll have to pot at least the lower section (magnet, keeper and spacer) since there's no threaded keeper or base plate to hold everything tight. I hope potting the rigid parts is enough to keep them from squealing.
          Thanks again Terry!

Rob
          Last edited by Stratz; 12-19-2012, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
            Thanks Terry. I think you just solved a problem that I've been trying to get around without buying any new base plates. I'm assuming that both the Mojo 50mm and 49.2mm bobbins have the same spacing for the mounting screw holes. Is this correct?????

I have a lot of 50mm HB stuff and I need a set of buckers with gold covers and one set with chrome covers (the customer insisted on chrome). Try finding a good quality gold or chrome cover in 50mm.......

I bought two gold and two chrome 50mm covers from a popular vendor and as I was putting the gold cover on one of the pickups I had my LCR meter hooked up and I watched the Q drop right through the floor. Way too much copper underneath the gold plating. Same thing with chrome covers. Both sounded absolutely terrible. Totally killed the tone of the pickup.
            I got away with using polished nickel covers for the chrome set but it seems that good quality gold and chrome covers only come in 49.2 mm.

I don't usually pot my humbuckers but if I can get away with drilling a 50mm base plate to take 49.2mm bobbin spacing I'll have to pot at least the lower section (magnet, keeper and spacer) since there's no threaded keeper or base plate to hold everything tight. I hope potting the rigid parts is enough to keep them from squealing.
            Thanks again Terry!

Rob
            Hey Rob:
            Yes, I bought 4 mojo kits.
            Using 2 on this project.
            I used some 50mm bobbins I had, think they are Guitar Parts USA.
            The brass screws fit fine.
            You have to oblong the holes just a bit.
            I wanted the leg length to be the same.
            I am using bare nickel covers.
            They are like no covers at all.
            Much better sounding than the plated covers IMO.
            I actually used 2 50mm screw bobbins, but drilled one out to .187" on the drill press, for the slugs.
            The guy is putting these in a LP type guitar.
            He liked the idea of the poles aligning better on the bridge with the 50mm Pickup.
            I did order the 49.2, and 50mm Covers, so they will line up and look right.
            I first started using the bare covers on tele neck pickups.
            They didn't kill the tone, and tele necks need all the help they can get.
            Good Luck,
            T
            Terry

Comment

Hey Rob:
              Yes, I bought 4 mojo kits.
              Using 2 on this project.
              I used some 50mm bobbins I had, think they are Guitar Parts USA.
              The brass screws fit fine.
              You have to oblong the holes just a bit.
              I wanted the leg length to be the same.
              I am using bare nickel covers.
              They are like no covers at all.
              Much better sounding than the plated covers IMO.
              I actually used 2 50mm screw bobbins, but drilled one out to .187" on the drill press, for the slugs.
              The guy is putting these in a LP type guitar.
              He liked the idea of the poles aligning better on the bridge with the 50mm Pickup.
              I did order the 49.2, and 50mm Covers, so they will line up and look right.
              I first started using the bare covers on tele neck pickups.
              They didn't kill the tone, and tele necks need all the help they can get.
              Good Luck,
              T
              The bare covers much, much, much better, I can see it on the meter. The Q only drops a little. The bare nickel covers polish up very nicely too.

I'm actually not sure if the problem with the plated covers is too much copper or if it's the overall thickness that kills the sound but the pickups were unusable with them.

So I take it you made one double slug pickup. Did you cover that one?

Comment

if I can get away with drilling a 50mm base plate to take 49.2mm bobbin spacing I'll have to pot at least the lower section (magnet, keeper and spacer) since there's no threaded keeper or base plate to hold everything tight.
                Rob, you probably only have to enlarge the outside two holes to make everything fit. That is all I end up drilling.
                www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

The bare covers much, much, much better, I can see it on the meter. The Q only drops a little. The bare nickel covers polish up very nicely too.

I'm actually not sure if the problem with the plated covers is too much copper or if it's the overall thickness that kills the sound but the pickups were unusable with them.

No double slugs.
                  I usually buy screw bobbins, then when I need one for slugs, I drill it out with the drill press.
                  Strange sounding I know, but I don't make that many humbuckers, and I don't have to stock as many different bobbins.
                  I haven't tried polishing the bare covers, I figured that would work.
                  Like Sonny said, just oval out the outside screw holes.
                  On the plated covers, I take a dremel tool and a sanding disk, and thin the inside of the cover.
                  Especially over the slug area.
                  E,A, B,E
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

I would of been all over that 1000th post like a dirty shirt ,but last night I was feeling a little under the weather (It sucks to be wrenching on you machine when it's -30 celcius)
                    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                      I would of been all over that 1000th post like a dirty shirt ,but last night I was feeling a little under the weather (It sucks to be wrenching on you machine when it's -30 celcius)
                      Hi Copper:
                      This thread may be there before you know it, maybe you can close it!
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

Have you ever noticed Nickel plated covers are magnetic & bare nickel covers are not

Comment

Dang Copper, that is cold. I don't think my deepfreeze will even go that low. If it ever got that cold here in Dallas it would probably stop all the clocks. People would be talking about it for years, and the plumbers would all be millionaires. Our all time record low here is -8F (-22C). My knuckles hurt just from thinking about working outside in that. I remember now why I didn't take that job in Minneapolis, back in the days.

By the way that same customer picked up his 63 strat and he really liked how it came out. Me too. It came out sounding and playing good. And this time he left me a '68 ES335 for a minor restoration, just enough to get it playable again for now. He says he got both of them from his brother. I would love to see what else is in that brother's closet. There is at least one other old one, he said he got three of them from him. He didn't tell me what the other one was yet. The pickups in the 335 look to be the original Pat# ones, but it does look like they have both been opened up at least once. The rest of the guitar looks pretty rough, but seems structurally sound. It has been refinished and stripped back down. Lots of parts aren't original. Speaking of frozen, that's one thing wrong with it - one of the tone pots is frozen, and won't turn and another volume pot has a busted shaft. He wants me to try to replace just the broken shaft, don't know if that is possible or not. The bridge is not original, but it needs work too. The neck is in quite good shape, which seems a little odd, considering the rest of the guitar. It hasn't been reset. I guess it is my lucky week to work on old stuff. I love my job, but it might be years before I see this many vintage guitars again. (Of course if I would have known, I could have bought plenty of them when I was in high school, instead of the Japanese copy type that I did buy and which I still have but it is only worth about what I paid for it then.)
                          www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

Dang Copper, that is cold. I don't think my deepfreeze will even go that low. If it ever got that cold here in Dallas it would probably stop all the clocks. People would be talking about it for years, and the plumbers would all be millionaires. Our all time record low here is -8F (-22C). My knuckles hurt just from thinking about working outside in that. I remember now why I didn't take that job in Minneapolis, back in the days.

By the way that same customer picked up his 63 strat and he really liked how it came out. Me too. It came out sounding and playing good. And this time he left me a '68 ES335 for a minor restoration, just enough to get it playable again for now. He says he got both of them from his brother. I would love to see what else is in that brother's closet. There is at least one other old one, he said he got three of them from him. He didn't tell me what the other one was yet. The pickups in the 335 look to be the original Pat# ones, but it does look like they have both been opened up at least once. The rest of the guitar looks pretty rough, but seems structurally sound. It has been refinished and stripped back down. Lots of parts aren't original. Speaking of frozen, that's one thing wrong with it - one of the tone pots is frozen, and won't turn and another volume pot has a busted shaft. He wants me to try to replace just the broken shaft, don't know if that is possible or not. The bridge is not original, but it needs work too. The neck is in quite good shape, which seems a little odd, considering the rest of the guitar. It hasn't been reset. I guess it is my lucky week to work on old stuff. I love my job, but it might be years before I see this many vintage guitars again. (Of course if I would have known, I could have bought plenty of them when I was in high school, instead of the Japanese copy type that I did buy and which I still have but it is only worth about what I paid for it then.)
                            You lucky dog you
                            I hope my Epi dot delivers the tone like my epi les paul have ,I will be home in a 3 days to play it

Comment

You lucky dog you
                              I hope my Epi dot delivers the tone like my epi les paul have ,I will be home in a 3 days to play it
                              Try to stay warm. Again dang that is some cold. But I think maybe you are going to like the dot. I am warming up to them a lot, as so many 335's seem to have been coming through here lately. Got to try to get me one soon. (and I need another guitar like a hole in the head btw) I used to think they were too big for me for playing comfort, but getting over that fast, hey they just sound really, really nice, both accoustically and through the amps. I can see now why they have lasted so long. I still like my ES 175TD, and my ES339 but it is getting to be pretty much no contest with the 335's.
                              www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

Working...
                              X