• Show
Clear All

• Click image for larger version

Name:	B-seriesSoapbarSizes.png
Views:	1
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	845456

Comment

• So if I wire a 3 pickup tele that is configured SSH.
      A mini humbucker in the neck, a strat SC in the middle and a Tele bridge SC. at the Bridge.
      What polarity should I make each pickup?
      I don't think the neck mini bucker will ever need to be split, humbucker only.
      I guess I can wind the pickups, bridge CW South up?
      The Middle SC could be CCW North up, and wire the neck bucker coils CCW North to the slug coil?
      That would give RWRP between the Bridge and Middle, proper polarity between neck and middle?

How would you wire them?
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        So if I wire a 3 pickup tele that is configured SSH.
        A mini humbucker in the neck, a strat SC in the middle and a Tele bridge SC. at the Bridge.
        What polarity should I make each pickup?
        I don't think the neck mini bucker will ever need to be split, humbucker only.
        I guess I can wind the pickups, bridge CW South up?
        The Middle SC could be CCW North up, and wire the neck bucker coils CCW North to the slug coil?
        That would give RWRP between the Bridge and Middle, proper polarity between neck and middle?

How would you wire them?
        T
        So if you wind the Minihum same as Seymour duncan or Gibson or no matter what direction you would wind the middle the opposite direction & North up
        the bridge pickup is up to you rw/rp or not
        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

• Danny my friend has a Tortoise Tele pickguard cut for minibucker neck and strat middle.
          The Neck is the Minibucker I mentioned earlier.
          Instead of a strat pickup, He is planing to use one of my bardan like strat blades I had in another pickguard.
          I kept the Neck minibucker wind on the low side.
          4350 turns per bobbin, and will wind up around 6.2- 6.3k DCR for the pickup.
          I will post pictures later.
          He is going to use a 7.5k SC, he has on hand, for the Bridge Pickup.

T
          Last edited by big_teee; 05-12-2017, 12:06 AM.
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

• Curious if anyone periodically mic's their new maget winding wire when they buy it?
            If you do what do you come up?
            42PE
            42SP
            42HFV
            42HP
            43PE
            43SP
            44SP

Thanks in advance!
            If you check ohms per foot, that would be a bonus.
            T
            Last edited by big_teee; 05-27-2017, 07:03 PM.
            Terry

Comment

• I do mic and sort mine, for different jobs
              This is the latest that I have gotten from MWS, I order the min-nom 5-6 lb rolls.
              All of these are within the last year.

42 PE has been mostly .0027 and occasionally .0026
              43 PE has been .0024 and sometimes .0023
              Also I got only one roll of 44 PE and it mic'd .0022

Also I got quite a bit of AWC #42 PE maybe two years ago which has also been.0027 mostly.
              I haven't checked the ohms per foot.

HTH - sw
              www.sonnywalton.com
              How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                Curious if anyone periodically mic's their new maget winding wire when they buy it?
                If you do what do you come up?
                42PE
                42SP
                42HFV
                42HP
                43PE
                43SP
                44SP

Thanks in advance!
                If you check ohms per foot, that would be a bonus.
                T
                No answers, just questions...
                Just wondering if the diameter stays roughly the same from the start to the end of a spool?
                Also, is it the actual wire diameter or the thickness of the insulation that will vary from spool to spool (or both?)

Steve A.
                Last edited by Steve A.; 05-28-2017, 03:09 AM.
                The Blue Guitar
                www.blueguitar.org
                Some recordings:
                https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                  No answers, just questions...
                  Just wondering if the diameter stays roughly the same from the start to the end of a spool?
                  Also, is it the actual wire diameter or the thickness of the insulation that will vary from spool to spool (or both?)

Steve A.
                  Wire can vary some throughout the roll, but usually not that much.
                  Wire can vary greatly between rolls.
                  In my limited measuring,?
                  I've found that smaller Outside diameter wire usually also has a smaller diameter conductor wire.
                  You can tell that by measuring O.D. and by measuring ohms per 10-1000 feet.
                  Usually wire with smaller O.D. per gauge will have a higher resistance per 10, or 1000 feet.
                  Wire manufactures rate their wire min/nom, and nom/max.
                  Some of the min/nom wire has been getting on the small size.
                  All this size variation complicates pickup coil estimating.
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

• A brief OT diversion: I was wondering if any of the winders here have experimented using the design of the Gibson 500T... ~16K with 3 ceramic magnets. Although the marketing points towards the very loud heavy metal/hard rock crowd it cleans up surprisingly well and actually works for blues and country.
                    I've always been biased against ceramic but I remember someone posting at AMPAGE who found that HB's with ceramic magnets had less hum than those with alnico.

Steve A.
                    The Blue Guitar
                    www.blueguitar.org
                    Some recordings:
                    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

• 3 ceramics is overkill for me, but gibson did that on a few different pickups.
                      Including the Dirty Fingers.
                      See Post 123 & 124 for rewinding a dirty fingers, with 3 magnets.
                      http://music-electronics-forum.com/t39746/
                      You can also get good results with one Ceramic magnet or one A8 Alnico magnet.
                      GL,
                      T
                      Last edited by big_teee; 05-29-2017, 05:41 AM.
                      Terry

Comment

• Well I did up my first kick at a Micawber style Tele bridge pickup. The customer wanted it for a Tele with a HB in the neck. Took it to 10kΩ of 43. Lots of room left over on the bobbin for a hotter version if needed. Customer picked it up last night and just called to let me know that he was extremely happy with the tone relative to a couple other bridges he had in it before. The tone and power worked well between the neck and bridge. A little thicker in the bridge but not as touch sensative as the lower output versions in the guitar previously. This one was built with A5's. I may have him try a version with A3's to see how it compares. All in all, a happy player and some constructive feedback on a new wind. Tomorrow. . . Fishing. . .
                        Last edited by kayakerca; 06-10-2017, 12:31 AM.
                        Take Care,

Jim. . .
                        VA3DEF

Comment

• Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
                          Well I did up my first kick at a Micawber style Tele bridge pickup. The customer wanted it for a Tele with a HB in the neck. Took it to 10kΩ of 43. Lots of room left over on the bobbin for a hotter version if needed. Customer picked it up last night and just called to let me know that he was extremely happy with the tone relative to a couple other bridges he had in it before. The tone and power worked well between the neck and bridge. A little thicker in the bridge but not as touch sensative as the lower output versions in the guitar previously. This one was built with A5's. I may have him try a version with A3's to see how it compares. All in all, a happy player and some constructive feedback on a new wind. Tomorrow. . . Fishing. . .
                          A5/A3 ........basically the difference between the Broadcaster & the Nocaster is magnets ..................& some were 43 gauge or 42 gauge ...............
                          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

• Been working off and on this week on my lefty test tele.
                            It came with the standard two tele pickups with an ashtray bridge.
                            I've always wanted to install a new pickguard with a strat pickup in the middle.
                            Couldn't find the pickguard I wanted, for a left hand tele.
                            So while ordering some other templates, for a customer project, I also ordered the templates to rout for strat pickup.
                            It takes two templates, one to rout the pickguard, and one to rout the body.
                            Also part of the project, required rewinding the neck pickup, building a middle pickup, and installing a 5 way switch.
                            I rewound the neck pickup same polarity as the bridge pickup, and wound the pickup with some small 42SP, wire I had.
                            The guitar sounds great, and is more fun to play with the 3 pickups.
                            Here are the before and after pictures, it came out better than I expected!
                            This was a fun project!
                            T
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by big_teee; 07-22-2017, 01:57 PM.
                            Terry

Comment

• Mojo has a 15% off sale, for regular accounts, now through 9/4/17 midnight.
                              They sell a lot of different stuff, so check it out!
                              Amp Parts, Cabinets, Guitar, Bass, Pickups, Pedals - Mojotone.com
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

• StewMac has a 10% off sale.
                                http://www.stewmac.com/item/images/3...eyourorder.jpg
                                They have some unique items that others don't have or stock.
                                I like their routing templates!
                                Stewart-MacDonald: Everything for building and repairing stringed instruments! | stewmac.com
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X