No announcement yet.

Souped-up 5E3-ish, layout feedback....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Souped-up 5E3-ish, layout feedback....

HI All,

Long time lurker but newly joined. Have learned so much from reading endless discussions here, you're all great. I've built several kit amps and mods over the years, right now I have a 25-30w-ish 5E3 in mind. It combines the things I've liked in other 'normally-aspirated' 5E3's I've built/modded, and I want one that I can build on a regular 5E3 chassis and put into my existing combo cab to use in clubs where I need a bit more oomph. So I've put together a pic of what I had in mind.

Click image for larger version

Name:	24l1x50.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	867012

Don't want to go with a 'ProLuxe', I'd like to keep it cathode-biased because I prefer that feel/response. Don't want to go with a 5E3x2 because I want to keep it in a regular 5E3 chassis. Planning to use a 320-0-320 @ 180ma Allen PT and 35w OT. I like the PaulC/Ampeg mod, may or may not want to stay with the choke depending upon response at the intended volume. And I might also decide on the Mission Vol/Tone Mod, which I won't post pics of here out of respect for Bruce et al. Kind of a 5E5 but still using just two preamp tubes like the 5E3, I guess.

If anyone sees any potential problems or red flags/issues, please feel free to share then here. Much thanks, and I look forward to discussing more.

So...I started to spec out some additions/modifications to this potential build. I wanted to possibly go for a slightly bigger combo overall, so I figured maybe a Tweed Super/5F4 in terms of size. And heck, while I'm at it I might as well use the 5F4 chassis as well....just plug up one of the preamp tube holes...and then maybe do a variation of the Vol/Tone mod that gives me two separate Volumes AND tones for separate channels. Voice one a bit 'Leaner' for humbuckers, and one 'Plumper' for single coils or P90s. I could just get a custom faceplate that covers one of the knob holes up top, grouping two pairs of two knobs and designate Vol/Tone for each pair/channel. I could also use the standard 5F4 power tranny (which I think is also used for Tweed Bassmans and Pros, I believe), and after everything is said and done, probably get around 25-30W with 6L6s and a GZ34. And this one I'd like in brown tolex with probably a wheat grille. Yeah...I like that idea!

Then I started surfing the web while specing the parts et al, and I come across one of Tungsten's amps....the Buckwheat, big brother to their 5E3-based Crema Wheat. And that's pretty much exactly what that amp is! Built in what looks like a Tweed Super chassis/cab (but with 1-12"), separate vol/tone channels with tighter and fatter voicings, distanced by what's probably a covered/unused knob hole. 30 watts via 6L6 and GZ34.....even brown Tolex and wheat grille.

Don't know if the Buckwheat has the Ampeg/PaulC mod in it as well. From the samples I've heard, I like some of them, others I'm not crazy about. But at least it's somewhat comforting to know that if Tungsten actually makes one, it's probably not too crazy of an idea.
    Last edited by RC99; 12-25-2012, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Do you have a schematic to post?

Comment

Working on it.

This should be the one for the 5E3 chassis, no vol/tone mod yet...

Click image for larger version

Name:	34g3jvn.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	827742
        Last edited by RC99; 12-24-2012, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X