Modular amplifiers ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modular amplifiers ???

So I am looking at different amplifier options and I have a few questions maybe some one here can help. Essentially I am looking for a guitar amp in the 30 too 60ish watt range that has a graphic EQ and a volume knob, and not much else seems simple enough right? When I run a Google search on "graphic equalizer amplifier" or "graphic equalizer guitar amplifier" I get a bunch of bass amps and some rack mounted studio stuff (that I don't know anything about), but mostly I get a bunch of home and car stereo amps...hmmmmmm. So then that got me thinking 'can I use a home or car stereo amp for a guitar and gang it up with a rack mounted compressor, limiter, graphic EQ etc...?' Or does any one know of a rack mounted amp that would serve well for live shows. Or am I completely out of my gourd and if so can some one tell me what I'm not understanding.

What comes to mind is , yes, bass amps.
    Hartke for one.

It really does depend on what style of playing that you are doing.
    There is no reason why you cannot play a guitar through a Hartke bass amp, if what you want is clean.
    I am not saying that you cannot put a distortion pedal in front of it.
    There are also effects boxes that have EQ & stuff like that (Alesis)

Comment

Originally posted by 303walker View Post
      So I am looking at different amplifier options and I have a few questions maybe some one here can help. Essentially I am looking for a guitar amp in the 30 too 60ish watt range that has a graphic EQ and a volume knob, and not much else seems simple enough right? When I run a Google search on "graphic equalizer amplifier" or "graphic equalizer guitar amplifier" I get a bunch of bass amps and some rack mounted studio stuff (that I don't know anything about), but mostly I get a bunch of home and car stereo amps...hmmmmmm. So then that got me thinking 'can I use a home or car stereo amp for a guitar and gang it up with a rack mounted compressor, limiter, graphic EQ etc...?' Or does any one know of a rack mounted amp that would serve well for live shows. Or am I completely out of my gourd and if so can some one tell me what I'm not understanding.
      Line 6 POD HD Pro - Rackmount Guitar Amplifier and 99-050-0905
      http://www.marshallamps.com/download...Rack%20hbk.pdf

Comment

About the only guitar amps I can think of with graphic EQ are some Mesa Boogies and old Peavey Musician solid state amps.

Brad1

Comment

And the old brown Acoustic amps.Click image for larger version

Name:	acoustic_g100t_guitar_amp_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	827734
          G100T, 160.

Comment

You could always just get an amp with a serial effects loop, and insert an EQ into that, or use a stompbox EQ. The first would EQ after the preamp stage, before the power amp. Actually, you could run a simple outboard preamp into an EQ into the serial effects loop, and you'd have only the master volume in the amp section of the amp as the only other control (assuming the loop doesn't have an input level control, AND the volume to the amp is after the loop, at the input of the amp section). The second would EQ before the preamp.

Why the dire need for a "graphic EQ" for a guitar amp, and the wish for just the EQ and volume, and no other controls....just out of curiosity?

Brad1

Comment

And the Carvin X amps from the 80s. But...they were just Booger knock offs anyway. They all need front end mods to have a decent soundin' overdrive channel, but the gray rat fur covered ones with EL34s in the output section were an improved variation. These also had active filters for the rotary tone controls that work really well. You really don't need to use the graph much...if at all.
              The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Fender made a tube amp with a "Graphic" EQ, but it used the regular rotary knobs. It was called Studio Bass I think, and there was a guitar version. Like the Mesa it uses inductors, but the Mesa uses a transistor circuit.
                WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
                X