Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's plumbing in those amps too.

Comment

lmao ya lots of plumbing funny on average how long does it take to repair. i know that eack case is diffrent?i have an svt classic but its too large for the venues im playn.

Comment

ok i c the frustration understandable! i know where ur @ if i cant figure out what else besides the 5 loose solder joints i will bring it the the beach ok?

Comment

LOL! you can probably fix it.
          It's usually something pretty basic.
          I had one a few weeks ago. The Roadies got a hold of it.
          The broke every single control pot, and every single EQ fader. It was decapitated!
          The band was adjusting the controls with a pair of pliers...
          Fixed it in ONE DAY. Now, they love me, I am famous. hahahahahahah!!!
          Actually, just basic soldering probably gets you thru.

Comment

captnzila, ignore SGM above, he likes to hear himself trumpet how all Ampeg/Crate products from Loud are unfixable, he brags that he tells his customers - as well as innocent people coming here for advice - that those products cannot be repaired and will just break constantly. It is hilarious that he now turns around and crows that without him those products would not be serviced. Infantile. He has a parts account with Loud? Terrific. Fill out a credit application and you can have one too.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              captnzila, ignore SGM above, he likes to hear himself trumpet how all Ampeg/Crate products from Loud are unfixable, he brags that he tells his customers - as well as innocent people coming here for advice - that those products cannot be repaired and will just break constantly. It is hilarious that he now turns around and crows that without him those products would not be serviced. Infantile. He has a parts account with Loud? Terrific. Fill out a credit application and you can have one too.
              Well, it's true a lot of them are not worth fixing. And they do break over and over, especially the Crate Amps. But that's no new news.
              You guys spend hours and hours fixing them, but you never charge what the job is worth, and you never get paid for all your time.
              Besides the fact that there is so limited parts support or none at all...
              Basically, you do it at a loss....but bravely you prove that it CAN be done. hahahahahahah! (and congratulations if you succeeded)

Yes I do support all the customers, no matter what amp they have. And, I am not a phoney as somebody claimed earlier. That was a rather pointed accusation. In fact, I am a legitimate tech, with an excellent clientele, that appreciates my work completely. And, there is less than a 1% return rate...and I am highly recommended by the locals.
              Probably because, I know one hell of a lot about guitar amps, and sound reinforcement, besides being a musician myself. I am just as capable of repairing guitar amps, as anybody you can name. Actually, I have fixed just as many of them, for a longer time, than 90% of the techs out there; Deal with it.
              And I do tell them when it's not worth their money. I have to be honest, I don't lie to customers, or anybody else.
              But yeah, you can open an account and buy parts, if there are any...is there anything remarkable about that?
              (I never said there was anything remarkable about it, it's like: so what?)

And if you come down the coast, and you wanna fix amps, I will send them to YOU. YOU are welcome to jump in, anytime!
              Cause frankly folks, I turn down at least 50% of the jobs offered, just cause there is no time to do them all.
              (I have to keep up with my scuba diving...that's a big commitment.)

As far as bass amps go, I can speak with some authority, cause I play the bass, among other instruments.
              I would rather have a rack mount preamp, and a rack mount power amp, than all the "SVT"s in China.
              Now, just suppose I bought a Furman Preamp, and a Peavey CS 400 power amp...
              OR a Fender Bass Amp...
              Not only would it be more reliable, supported by USA companies, but also I could get parts for it, like transformers.
              And THAT is the best bass amp advice you will find anywhere.

Now suppose you can find a REAL SVT, put about $500 into it, for parts and tubes, etc...
              NOW you do have a REAL AMPEG solid, USA bass amp. And, that's a keeper, I would keep it and play it.
              And I would NEVER sell it. Because folks, they don't make 'em like they used to. There is nothing like American Hardware.
              Last edited by soundguruman; 12-30-2012, 01:54 AM.

Comment

No, I don't fix them at a loss, I don't need hours and hours to do the job. I am sorry for you that it takes YOU hours and hours, and then YOUR results are unreliable. Try not to break your arm patting yourself on the back.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                  No, I don't fix them at a loss, I don't need hours and hours to do the job. I am sorry for you that it takes YOU hours and hours, and then YOUR results are unreliable. Try not to break your arm patting yourself on the back.
                  No, the result is not unreliable.
                  I am still waiting for a single one of these to come back to my shop.....
                  or, for a single person to complain....
                  None of them have. All units repaired by me are still in the field, working just fine.
                  And I continue to receive compliments, and recommendations, everyday.

As far as Crate is concerned, once they billow smoke, I don't repair them. Not worth the time or money...I don't believe it's ethical to make somebody believe that repairing it will solve the ongoing, fundamental design / hardware problems.

And as far as music stores are concerned - many of them stopped selling Crate long ago. Too many returns, failures, and pissed off customers.
                  We sent all the failures back to the factory. They invented it, let them fix it.
                  Even when we sent them back to the factory, the factory techs couldn't fix them to last either (documented).
                  I did not design them, I did not sell them or build them. And I prefer not to take responsibility for them.
                  At least a few of us possess the common sense to draw a line in the sand. I would disagree with Enzo, and so would many music store owners.

No, I am not the only (lone nut case) person who realizes that selling Crate amps to customers is probably a bad idea.
                  That is, IF you want people to come back and buy more stuff...
                  It's probably a good idea to sell them something reliable, and serviceable, supported by the manufacturer, with parts, like transformers.
                  However the tendency to manufacture "disposable amplifiers" is becoming stronger and stronger.
                  Only YOU can stop that trend. And now, you know how.

A. Did I tell Music store owners to stop selling Crate amplifiers?
                  No. Why don't you ask them why?

B. The factory techs have already freely admitted:
                  "Crate amps are for temporary usage only." "Crate amps are not designed for continuous usage."
                  If the techs at the factory already said it, then what part of "unreliable" don't you understand?
                  Last edited by soundguruman; 12-30-2012, 05:25 PM.

Comment

, I turn down at least 50% of the jobs offered, just cause there is no time to do them all.
                    (I have to keep up with my scuba diving...that's a big commitment.)
                    Talk about FAKE

So now you say you fly 4000Km each way every week or so to a remote beach in Hawaii?

Then you come back, spend many long hours trying to repair a fake Ampeg (any weighting less than 90 Lbs ) for which you buy parts out of your own pocket, and of course you don't charge for it.

Yup, looks like an ideal lifestyle to me.

I envy you

PS: now I understand why you are only an Electrician licensed to wire *LOW VOLTAGE* stuff, and that only under adult supervision: so much salt water in your skin makes you dangerous anywhere near a 120V line
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                      Talk about FAKE

So now you say you fly 4000Km each way every week or so to a remote beach in Hawaii?

Then you come back, spend many long hours trying to repair a fake Ampeg (any weighting less than 90 Lbs ) for which you buy parts out of your own pocket, and of course you don't charge for it.

Yup, looks like an ideal lifestyle to me.

I envy you

PS: now I understand why you are only an Electrician licensed to wire *LOW VOLTAGE* stuff, and that only under adult supervision: so much salt water in your skin makes you dangerous anywhere near a 120V line
                      Once again, you are intentionally distorting, twisting and lying, which is what we have come to expect from your non-stop deception generator.
                      Nobody ever said I flew 4000 miles to Hawaii, to scuba dive...you made that up (again). You are lying, again, and as usual.
                      And you are quite incorrect. I am a General Electrician, and fully certified to work UN-supervised.

You are quite desperate to stick the knife in... (but you fail always). You would have made a great republican. I guess you missed your true calling?

I hope you get metal heath treatment, for whatever disorder you have acquired.

Comment

Nobody ever said I flew 4000 miles to Hawaii, to scuba dive...you made that up (again).
                        Sorry, I humbly beg for your pardon, I should have imagined you *SWIM* 4000Km to Hawaii.

hahahahahahaha , you are very funny, much better than watching Mr Bean

So let's check and try to match a few statements YOU make, on your own, and without anybody asking for them:

A) you claim you live in Grover Beach, California
                        B) you sign with your own picture, fully dressed as a scuba diver, claiming it was taken at North Shore Oahu, Sharks Cove (Hawaii , at least the last time I checked)
                        C) you claim Nobody ever said I flew 4000 miles to Hawaii, to scuba dive

Care to elaborate?
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                          Sorry, I humbly beg for your pardon, I should have imagined you *SWIM* 4000Km to Hawaii.

hahahahahahaha , you are very funny, much better than watching Mr Bean

So let's check and try to match a few statements YOU make, on your own, and without anybody asking for them:

A) you claim you live in Grover Beach, California
                          B) you sign with your own picture, fully dressed as a scuba diver, claiming it was taken at North Shore Oahu, Sharks Cove (Hawaii , at least the last time I checked)
                          C) you claim Nobody ever said I flew 4000 miles to Hawaii, to scuba dive

Care to elaborate?
                          Yes, I will elaborate.
                          Your mental illness has progressed further than any of us had previously imagined.

Comment

where in the hell are people buying the FAKe ampeg amps! hopefully these bastards went in L.A. in 92 selling these bullshit amps. it took me 5 months of savings to get mine @ the bass center in santa Monica CA. I've got the original reciept but didn't receive the packet it comes with. and are they faking all models lmao? I found a company that makes amps in sacramento that repairs authentic ampeg products

Comment

SGM calls the old AMpegs the real ones. NOw that Loud owns the brand and has moved production overseas, he calls those "fake."

As a warranty center, I need to see your bill of sale. I don't need to see all the warranty cards and stuff that were packed into the amp. That receipt is proof of purchase for warranty purposes. You are covered with that receipt as long as teh warranty period has not passed.

Comment

These threads are priceless and so are the days of our lives. Soap Opera amp repair is the basis of anyone who just calls out an entire line of amps. I mean to be fair here... Yes newer Ampeg's are almost exactly the same as a Crate amp. Actually, I find repairing CRATE & Ampeg amps to be rather easy fixes!! I also find that Ampegs in the early 90's were very similar to Crate amps from that time period.

I challenge anyone to design an amp and create a new. I challenge ALL(or anyone) to tell me why a 1992 Ampeg (NonPro) is not as good as an Ampeg 2001 BA115... I challenge ALL to tell me why a power transformer from either decade is more prone to failure. I also challenge ALL/Anyone to tell me why Chinese parts are inferior when all along we have been using them?

I do not defend Chinese production... But one thing to remember is that Supply and Demand keep business alive!! Just remember that "WE" created these manufacturers when we cut production here in the 80's. JUST REMEMBER THIS... IF YOU VOTED FOR REAGAN THEN YOU VOTED TO SEND PRODUCTION TO CHINA!! i remember 1984... Kindergarten class...YIKES!! I voted Mondale in a my kindergarten class!!! I was 1 and the other 24 voted for Reagan!! Too young for my vote to count! But at least I could add at least one more exclamation symbol!!!!!

Edit: BTW funny enough... I love Japanese amps/guitars from the 80's... Maybe I am just crazy but they are good!! or Great!!!
                                When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Working...
                                X