No announcement yet.

potting without pro setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For a cheap vacuum you can open an aquarium air pump and reverse the seals so it sucks air instead of blowing. I had a big powerful air pump laying around and modded it. It works great.

Comment

• Something I wanted to mention because this just happened to me... I bought some paraffin from a candle making supply place... I can't use it. The melting point seems to be higher than my paraffin warmer gets (which gets VERY hot) and it doesn't melt, and floats on top of the other wax that's in there. Really annoying! I had to scoop it all out... all 4 pounds of it.

I usually buy paraffin that's intended to be used with these paraffin warmers, which are for people to stick their hands or feet in. It's a bit softer than the candle making stuff because it has paraffin oil in it.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

• That's good stuff. And a good side topic for the thread too. I don't suppose all wax, or even specified "paraffin" is created equal. I've been using canning wax. Also labeled as paraffin. I've been potting at 150* (more or less). No problems with any deformation on anything yet. I've been softening with Vaseline because it seems to do the job WITHOUT lowering the melting point much at all. Figuring for things like black cases, sunny windows and hot cars it seems that higher is better as long as the wax still melts down nice and liquid at the potting temp.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

• I like the gulf brand canning paraffin as good as anything.
          I thin it to the point it is not so flakey when hard.
          I put some candle chunks in the wax pot once.
          It was a lot harder and needed thinned a lot to make it consistant with the other wax I had.
          The wax for hand theraphy is good also, and is already thinned about right and pliable.
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
            Something I wanted to mention because this just happened to me... I bought some paraffin from a candle making supply place... I can't use it. The melting point seems to be higher than my paraffin warmer gets (which gets VERY hot) and it doesn't melt, and floats on top of the other wax that's in there. Really annoying! I had to scoop it all out... all 4 pounds of it.
            It's probably a vegetable wax. It will say on the box. Anyway, candles are supposed to burn clean and clear, with a pretty flame, and to burn all the way down without becoming a puddle. Acoustic properties are unspecified.

More generally, there are many hundreds of kinds of wax.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
              It's probably a vegetable wax. It will say on the box. Anyway, candles are supposed to burn clean and clear, with a pretty flame, and to burn all the way down without becoming a puddle. Acoustic properties are unspecified.

More generally, there are many hundreds of kinds of wax.
              This was the description:

*IGI 1237 100% PARAFFIN WAX*
              This is a multi purpose. The application will change depending on what additives you use. This is a fully refined white paraffin wax with a low oil content. The melt point is 134-138. Needle penetration @77 degrees of 11. This is a fully refined paraffin wax with different uses depending on what additives you use. The melt point of this wax will change depending on what percentage of additives your are using. The amount of fragrance oil the wax will hold will increase depending on the percentage of additives.
              Maybe it was the low oil content that is the problem?
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

• Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                Maybe it was the low oil content that is the problem?
                Well, the melting temperature, which does vary with oil content. The low oil content is desirable in a candle to prevent sweating of oil.

I found the manufacturer's website:

IGI wax: paraffin, microcrystalline, petrolatum, wax blends - Paraffin Wax

IGI wax: paraffin, microcrystalline, petrolatum, wax blends - Candle Wax Blends

I don't find IGI 1237, but do find 1236A and 1239.

Actually, a call the tech support at the mfgr may prove useful. They may have a good idea which wax would be best for pickups. And provide samples for testing.

In particular, I wonder if a microcrystalline wax would be suitable.

IGI wax: paraffin, microcrystalline, petrolatum, wax blends - Wax Basics

Comment

• This is the old standard.
                  More of this probably used than anything, and makes a great base to start with.
                  You can buy it at walmart, or most grocerie stores.
                  I saw it online as cheap as $3.12 for a pound box.
                  http://www.surfinghandbook.com/wp-co.../2010/07/1.jpg
                  Then I thin to suit with paraffin lamp oil, or beeswax if you prefer.
                  https://www.google.com/search?q=para...w=1366&bih=597
                  EZ-PZ.
                  If you get it too thin, just add more gulf wax.
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
                    In particular, I wonder if a microcrystalline wax would be suitable.
                    I've been using Vaseline as a softener. the commercial product is partly composed of microcrystalline wax. Searching for the melting point has yielded answers from 100*F up to 168*F. IME it doesn't alter the melting point of canning paraffin appreciably, which I like. I can't say about straight microcrystalline waxes, but as an additive I've only had good experience so far.
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                    X