Alternative tapping geometry for a SC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative tapping geometry for a SC

What do you think about a tapped SC with a inner "extension" coil wrapped before the "normal" coil?
    The question is not new (I remember reading some from Mark Hammer, but I don't find it anymore).
    The plus can be simpler switching, grounding the "tap" point without creating an external closed loop to the sounding "main" bobbin.
    The minus: an internal coil take space (better to use AWG 43, maybe?) and the main coil can have less sensitivity.
    Please comment as you want.
    Thanks
    m.p.

If you ground the tap point, then at the same time you have to open the other coil wire that is grounded, or you load the circuit, and so I do not think the switching is simpler. (Maybe I misunderstand something?)

Originally posted by Marco Pancaldi View Post
    What do you think about a tapped SC with a inner "extension" coil wrapped before the "normal" coil?
    The question is not new (I remember reading some from Mark Hammer, but I don't find it anymore).
    The plus can be simpler switching, grounding the "tap" point without creating an external closed loop to the sounding "main" bobbin.
    The minus: an internal coil take space (better to use AWG 43, maybe?) and the main coil can have less sensitivity.
    Please comment as you want.
    Thanks
    m.p.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
      If you ground the tap point, then at the same time you have to open the other coil wire that is grounded, or you load the circuit, and so I do not think the switching is simpler. (Maybe I misunderstand something?)
      I'm not sure if the working coil is loaded: the inner coil is simply grounded on both ends...in this case the question is if an INTERNAL closed-loop coil can have effect on the external coil tone.
      m.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco Pancaldi View Post
        I'm not sure if the working coil is loaded: the inner coil is simply grounded on both ends...in this case the question is if an INTERNAL closed-loop coil can have effect on the external coil tone.
        m.
        Of course it can. You do not want a shorted coil.

Comment

Working...
        X