Gibson G 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson G 30

I've run into a hum issue (60Hz) on this amp. After fixing the blown output section and replacing the leaky electrolytics this amp is working again. I upgraded the line cable to a grounded type and when the ground is attached to the chassis I get a very noticeable increase in 60 Hz at the output.

The ripple on the voltage rails is .025V but I get almost .3V on the output terminals with the chassis grounded. Ground loop?
    Attached Files

Did you ditch C12 at the on/off switch.
    That's the 'death cap'.
    Attached Files

Comment

Death cap doesn't have any effect on the noise issue - though it appears to help suppress the switch arc/pop. I usually replace these old ceramic "death caps" with proper Y rated film caps with UL/CSA approval.

Comment

See attached - I'm thinking of adding the following circuit to eliminate the noise issue. I can use fiber shoulder washers on the input jacks - anyone try this?
        Attached Files

Comment

Have you checked the outlet wiring? Is there a voltage differential between the ground and neutral legs? When you lift the ground wire from the chassis is there a voltage differential between the chassis and the ground pin?

Comment

There is a voltage between neutral and ground at the outlet of .120 V and there is 105V between the ground pin and chassis with ground wire lifted. I used an old HP handheld DMM to make the measurements.

Comment

What you are saying is that the chassis is hot.

Comment

Yes when I get a chance I'll check the power transformer - I'm assuming that would be the likely reason for the 105V on the chassis?

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
                  What you are saying is that the chassis is hot.
                  somehow there is voltage on the chassis...

Comment

Yeah, maybe try to isolate the PT to see if that is the issue.
                    If it is, it's bad.

Comment

Originally posted by gbono View Post
                      There is a voltage between neutral and ground at the outlet of .120 V and there is 105V between the ground pin and chassis with ground wire lifted. I used an old HP handheld DMM to make the measurements.
                      ...So the neutral is NOT at ground potential. Is the HOT at ground? I've lived in more than one domicile where the outlets were all backwards, but that's a different problem.

Any connection between L1 or L2 and the chassis should be severed. In a 3-wire arrangement, only the ground wire should make contact with the chassis. If you have done that, then yes, it's possible that the power xformer is not isolated properly. However, my money is on something in the original wiring between the power cord entry and the xformer. Lift or ditch C12, If you haven't replaced it.
                      If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                      If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                      We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                      MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

L1 a L2 are isolated from the chassis - I tested the PT and no winding is connected to the chassis.

At the outlet L1 to ground measures 120V. Line neutral and ground are all wired correct at outlet per circuit tester. I did find a piece of test gear with chassis grounded on the same circuit.

Lifted C12.

Amps plays well but I would like to reduce the hum. I installed the hum suppressor circuit with little change in noise level.

I'm now seeing 10-11V between chassis and safety ground.

Comment

Working...
                        X