Electrical conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical conundrum

I wonder if one of you can advise about this. The light fixture in the vent hood over my lady friends stove keeps burning up light bulbs. When you put one in, it glows super bright for about 20 seconds and then burns out.

Obviously it's a voltage surge, but what would cause it?

Its a pretty old vent hood and should probably be replaced but they don't seem to make this size anymore. It's a greasy mess, but I'd like to have an idea of what I'm getting into before I take it apart.

Any ideas?
    Stop by my web page!

Ok, I looked around on the internet and apparently they do make smaller ones. I'm not sure of the size, it's probably a 21 or 24 inch. I'll probably just replace it but it's still a mystery why it's burning up light bulbs.
    Stop by my web page!

Comment

110V bulb in a 240V socket?

Comment

Really crudded up socket?
        Faulty wiring?

Comment

110V bulb in a 240V socket?
          +1

Read the *actual* voltage at the socket.
          Worst case, put a 220/240V bulb there anyway ; whatever it finds there, it will handle double

Or tell your friend to use less jalapeņos in her chili
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

+1, in America heavy appliances like electric stoves run off 240V. Either the vent hood is designed for 240V too, or it got wired to 240 by mistake.
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Regis View Post
              I wonder if one of you can advise about this. The light fixture in the vent hood over my lady friends stove keeps burning up light bulbs. When you put one in, it glows super bright for about 20 seconds and then burns out.

Obviously it's a voltage surge, but what would cause it?

Its a pretty old vent hood and should probably be replaced but they don't seem to make this size anymore. It's a greasy mess, but I'd like to have an idea of what I'm getting into before I take it apart.

Any ideas?
              The hood has been wired 220-240 by mistake.
              It is unusual for a hood to run 220-240 in the USA. Almost unheard of.
              The hood can be changed to 120, and the proper breaker needs to be installed in the circuit panel.
              You need an electrician to correct that mistake. I do not recommend you try it yourself.
              This job can be hazardous, and so call a qualified electrician.

Comment

Working...
              X