Video Demo: 5F1 Champ vs 5F2A Princeton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Demo: 5F1 Champ vs 5F2A Princeton

I put this video clip together this week. I thought some of you may find it interesting. I built a 5F1 Champ and a 5F2A Princeton.
    The biggest known difference between the 2 circuits is the tone bleed knob on the Princeton. The 5F1 Champ is in the standard smaller cab
    with a stock sized 8`speaker. It has a Peavey 4 ohm. The 5F2A Princeton was modeled after the later years in the larger sized
    cab. There was plenty of room for a bigger speaker, so I built it for a 10" size. It has a Weber 10A100 8 ohm in there with a
    multi-tap OT. Both amps have switchable negative feedback installed. NFB is off on both amps during this recording. Both amps
    set to 10 on volume.(knobs go to 12) Tone knob was to 50% on the Princeton. No pedals, no FX, no reverb nothing here, just
    amps, guitars, & cords. I played and recorded with a USA Tele for rhythm. ES-339 for lead and slide. 6 tracks. Both recordings were done identical.
    The only difference here are the amps.

5F1 Champ Vs 5F2A Princeton - YouTube

I welcome your comments if you want to share your thoughts. I will say that I am surprised that the 5F1 sounds meatier than the 5F2A.
    I assume it is due to the the 5F2A tone stack taking some gain out. I suppose it could also be the differences in the amp components, parts, transformers etc.
    I would have thought the 10" speaker would have sounded fuller, but that's not the case here. The 8" 5F1 does sound better I think.
    The 5F1 has a Classictone PT, and a 4ohm Heyboer OT. The 5F2A has a Heyboer PT and an Allen multitap 4/8 ohm OT.

Cheers! Keith

For my money, the 5F2A kicks the living shit out of that 5F1 sound... go figure.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Bruce, you prove a good point. Amp tones are totally subjective to the listener. It all depends on what you like. There are so many variables too, from amp to amp.
      I wonder how much amp aura is drummed up by advertising, media hype, recommendations by others? Only your ears can tell you, what you like. The good news is
      we have options to choose from. Lots and lots of options. From wood cabinet type, speakers, transformers, tubes, electrolytics, guitars, pedals, mics, picks. I'm
      starting to see why the electric amp and guitar business is to big. Many of us are trying this and that, swapping this out for that, modifying things, buying new gear. On and on it goes.
      Truth is, how often do we actually sit down and listen to a true side by side comparison before we buy another amp? Many times we can't or just don't. We just keep
      buying more chasing "that tone". Sigh...I am very guilty. But its fun!!!

Comment

i liked the princton too.sounds smoother.good job

Comment

Working...
        X