'63 Fender Bassman Brownface Project Needs A New Faceplate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '63 Fender Bassman Brownface Project Needs A New Faceplate

Deep in a dark corner of a local buy/sell shop I found a '63 6G6-B bassman. Really rough looking but cheap.

Guts look original and authentic, so did the spiders.

This is supposed to be a blond amp but sometime in its past a previous owner spray painted most of the outside of the amp with black paint. Knobs, baffle and everything.

Got the paint off the cream knobs, and I think I can save the back panel, but tolex and baffle fabric are toast as is the front faceplate.

Does anyone have a source for a Brownface Bassman front panel? Seven knobs including the presence.

I found one in the UK, hoping to find one a bit closer. Thanks.

I have the exact amp.
    Although mine dates to '62.
    Some nitwit painted it black (hey, it's a 'Blackface').
    Really a strange one.
    The knobs where incorrect.
    The Fender logo was missing.
    The handle has single holes.
    The cabinet was drilled for the 4 hole dogbone.(and the single hole).
    From the factory. The tolex covered the dogbone holes.
    Must have been an interim item.
    Mine has the solid state rectifiers & the tube rectifier hole is capped off.
    It has the 'Presence' control.
    The only saving grace is the oxblood grillcloth was perfect.
    The brown faceplate is pretty good.
    I had the amp recovered & the tech had a hard time with the tolex.
    There is a smooth & a rough.
    We found an unpainted part inside the amp & it was rough cream.
    Anyway.
    The Tube Amp Doctor has the Brownface faceplates.
    Bassman Amp Faceplate, BRONW faceplate - FACEPLATES vintage FenderŪ amps

Comment

That's crazy, two amps both painted black. Be funny if the same guy owned both amps.

The tolex on this '63 is rough as well, but from what I've read the white rough tolex was only available on the '61? Internet strikes again.

I can't figure out what color the baffle fabric is, it looks wheat on the edges but I'm wondering if that might be aged oxblood.

I'm having it recovered by a local cab builder, he's been around for years so hopefully he can figure it out.

This has the solid state rect as well. The hole is there but it has a cover on it.

Thanks on TAD, that's the UK group I referenced. Someone told me Marsh had them, so I sent an email. Didn't see any on their site.

Comment

For the face plate, Sandy at Precision Design in Indiana, can make you one laser etched, out of plastic. Send her the old one to copy. She's reasonable, price wise. Doubt you'll ever find original metal plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jecarroll7 View Post
          That's crazy, two amps both painted black. Be funny if the same guy owned both amps.
          I've seen a lot of early '60s amps painted black, it was the thing to do to make them look like the new ones. The worst ones are the tweed ones painted with a brush.

I've removed black paint from tolex before, it's not easy but it can be done and it can look pretty good. The alternative is to repaint it back to the original color. We used to use the spray paint that car dealers used on vinyl tops. I don't even know if that stuff is still available or not.

I've never had any luck removing paint from grill cloth.

Comment

52 Bill - Aside from being painted, the tolex is pretty rough. But I may try cleaning it and/or painting it as a test run. Good suggestion.

Raybob, I'll checkout Sandy's web site, thanks. Has me wondering if TAD's faceplace is plastic as well?

Comment

I've had decent results with graffiti remover and a stiff plastic bristle brush. Takes forever though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jecarroll7 View Post
                Has me wondering if TAD's faceplace is plastic as well?
                Send TAD an EMail and ask them.

Comment

Per an email response from TAD, "all Fender faceplates are metal (aluminium)"

Comment

Go for it!

Comment

Working...
                    X