Mixing Magnets In P-90's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing Magnets In P-90's

If I have a P-90 that has, say, degaussed A2 magnets, what wil the result be if I replaced one of them with a stronger A5? I would imagine it would be brighter and a little louder, but will the magnetic charges even out between the magnets? Will the stronger A5 "charge up" the degaussed A2? Thanks for any input you can give.
    Dave

Originally posted by Daver View Post
    If I have a P-90 that has, say, degaussed A2 magnets, what wil the result be if I replaced one of them with a stronger A5? I would imagine it would be brighter and a little louder, but will the magnetic charges even out between the magnets? Will the stronger A5 "charge up" the degaussed A2? Thanks for any input you can give.
    Dave
    They are fun to play with.
    With a P90 you have 2 magnets like you said.
    Make sure both magnets are turned the same direction.
    Either both magnets touching the keeper bar, are North, or both south.
    A common problem is that if one magnet is flipped over then you lose the strong double magnet effect.
    With 2 A2 magnet, It should still be pretty bright.
    I have recharged the A2s before.
    Don't see any benefit to having one A5 and one A2.
    Don't know if the stronger A5 will discharge the A2 or not?
    Maybe others will chime in and give more insight.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Dave
      Possibly the A5 could totally degauss the A2 over a short period
      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Hmmmm, so the stronger magnet would degauss the weaker magnet rather than make it stronger or even out the charges? Interesting. I wouldn't have guessed. I'll have to do more research on magnet theory. Thanks.

Comment

Hmmmm, so the stronger magnet would degauss the weaker magnet rather than make it stronger or even out the charges? Interesting. I wouldn't have guessed. I'll have to do more research on magnet theory. Thanks.
          Remember that they are opposing one another in the P-90.
          www.sonnywalton.com
          How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

Why would you want to degauss an alnico 2? They are already weaker. Make them too weak and they will continue to discharge. You can get the same affect by placing a small spacer between the magnet and keeper and use a fully charged magnet.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
            X