Adhesive for Repairing 6V6GT Base?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adhesive for Repairing 6V6GT Base?

What's the best adhesive to use for gluing a loose base on a 6V6GT?

I've heard of using nail polish, or superglue. Or maybe 2-part epoxy? I'm not sure how well these withstand high temps.

Any suggestions? I'm trying to save a sweet old Delco (RCA) tube that is intermittent due to a loose base.

I've used cyanoacrylates (superglue) for MANY years like this... some people say it is conductive... I've never found that to be the case at all and some said it would corrode the metal pins.... never seen that either.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

I'm not sure how a loose base could make the tube intermittent. The base is non-conductive. I would think that along with the loose base you have a bad connection in one of the pins. That being said, gluing it up may cure the problem anyway if it stops the pin from wiggling.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I agree that there is probably a bad connection to one of the pins, since I can make it cut out and/or work OK by moving the glass envelope around within the base. I am going to try and glue it in place, then re-flow the pins. Hopefully that will save the tube - it sounds really sweet when it sorks!

I think I am leaning toward either super glue or nail polish (Hard as Nails), based on the feed back I've had here and on TAG. Thanks!

Comment

I'll bet my lunch money that resoldering the pins will cure the problem. The looseness just allows it more room to crack its solder.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I put a bead of gel-type super glue around the tube where the glass meets the base, and it worked great. I then re-flowed the pins, and the tube works fine! It was definitely worth the effort. Thanks Guys!

Comment

Working...
            X