Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measure Frequency Response

Hello,

I tried to measure the frequency response on one start pickup that i have wind and the peak is at 2.3kHz.
    The magnets are A5, the wire is 42AWG Poly and the resistance is about 7kΩ.
    The method that I have used is: Play a sine wave 100Hz - 10kHz from my sound card to my headphones AKG K240MKII, put the pickup to the one headphone and I saw the analyzer of the Analyzer software. The pickup is directly connected to the output jack without capacitor and then to my sound card.

Is this the right method?

Thank you in advance

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alnico-5--frequency-test.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	867048

The resonant frequency are very low. With this specs it may be around 7-8 kHz (with standart TPL). When you measure resonance with sound card, it affect on full circuit and resonance shifts down. You can get good results with using signal generator and oscilloscope with 1:10 probe (10 megaohm).
    www.fokinpickups.ru
    www.fokinpickups.com

Comment

The pickup need to be plugged into a high impedance source. The sound card is loading down the pickup and lowering the resonant peak.

If you do a search here you should find some usable setups for doing this.

Maybe one of the members here (Mike S? Possum?) will chime in. I think they have both posted about this stuff. A few others too who's names escape me at the moment.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Ilya, David thank you very much for your help. I read and the other posts and I think that the right way is to buy the Syscomp CGR-101 and after this I will make one drive coil.
        I hope to have good results after this method.
        If you have another right way please tell me.

Thank you very much again.

Comment

You might want to read this article, it's got some generalized info and a gizmo for sale at the end.
          BuildYourGuitar.com :: The Secrets of Electric Guitar Pickups

Comment

Is he still selling the analyser I couldn't see it on his website although Iddon't speak german
            Thanks, Nathan.

Comment

Does anybody use the Syscomp CHR-101 for measure the pickup resonant peak?

Comment

I use "Picoscope 2204". And get measurments like on picture:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	11.png
Views:	1
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	827857
                www.fokinpickups.ru
                www.fokinpickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by Durrant Pickups View Post
                  Is he still selling the analyser I couldn't see it on his website although I don't speak german
                  Praktische Infos zu Technik + Sound von Elektrogitarren + Elektrobässen für Spieler, Liebhaber, Sammler, Hersteller, Bastler, Freaks, ... - GitarrenElektronik.de - Pickup Analyzer ©

I don't see a price anywhere, but the original model (with red digital display) was quite expensive, something like $1,000. Don't know how many were sold.

Comment

I use the CGR-101. I believe there are a few others here as well. It's a nice piece of equipment available at a reasonable price. I built a 24 ohm/7mH drive coil using a humbucker bobbin and about 420 turns of 30 gauge (I think it was 30 gauge) magnet wire and basically followed this document:

http://www.syscompdesign.com/AppNote...ar-pickups.pdf

It's been over 20 years since I studied such things in college, so it seemed the easier thing to do. The built in signal generator will drive the coil fine. In general, you need to a solid 500mA capacity from your USB connections. Using this method, and backing out numbers for pickup inductance seems to match up fairly well with measurements via an Extech LCR meter. Warm fuzzy, if nothing else. Fun, but I'd say of minimal real value in the end.

Comment

i emailed helmuth lemme and the unit is 900 euros plus 32 euro for the software quite expensive but i trust it works well and is made for pickups which is always good. It comes with an english manual to set it up correctly and what i like is because it is made for pickups the manual is also for pickups so there is no interpreting complicated electronics if that isnt your thing.
                      Thanks, Nathan.

Comment

Working...
                      X