8-string humbucker bobbins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8-string humbucker bobbins

just wondering if anyone knows a supplier for 8 string humbucker bobbins?
    Thanks, Nathan.

I have search but not found any so I have decided to cut up two ordinary bobbins and glue them together. This is for a one-off 8-stringer I'm building and I'm going to cast the end result into resin so if there are some bad joint they will not be visible. But if anyone have a source for 8-string bobbins I would like to get some of those instead.

Comment

I make 8-string humbucker from fiberboard material with laser cutting (logo too). It looks good and possible to make custom dimension and string spacing:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	8-string humbucker Fokin Pickups.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	827844
      www.fokinpickups.ru
      www.fokinpickups.com

Comment

Seems to be what a few of the bigger builders are doing as well, joining two bobbins together. I'll admit, I do it myself...for 8 and 9 string pickups. I had great success taking two blade bobbins, cutting them and gluing them together to make a single blade and single pole screw humbucker. I sand them smooth and buff them out for a nearly invisible glue joint, but I also use a 3M film that shrinks around the bobbin when heated and it covers the joint as well.

Comment

I like both options the fiber bobbin finish gives the pickup a very heavy metal look and being a trend atm I think it works well I also like the joining idea but was concerned about the join line which doesn't seem to labour intensive to remove. On that note may I ask what you use to splice the bobbin and what is in the middle of your fiber bobbin. I was going to build a fiber bobbin with a wooden centre but again I don't want to anything too labour intensive
          Thanks, Nathan.

Comment

You don't have to use fibre. You can also make those parts from plastic with a wood or plastic core. Glue it together and it will look just like a plastic bobbin, because it is.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I have also seen some really nice all wood bobbins made for 8 string use. Think the set I'm thinking of was a flame maple and rosewood bucker made by Vik Guitars. They look great and with maple, you could stain them any color of the rainbow, fixing the age old question of..."where can I get colored bobbins from?". Problem is with a lot of members, including myself...its time consuming work!

Comment

You could also get any color plastic you want. Use thin pickguard material. I was using laser cut wood for a while, and it tends to crack.

You can make up a router jig to cut the plastic into bobbin parts.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

One trick with the wood flatwork is to drill all your holes in a thick piece of wood and then slice it up on the bandsaw. It saved me a lot of time and avoided any splits while trying to drill thin wood.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                    One trick with the wood flatwork is to drill all your holes in a thick piece of wood and then slice it up on the bandsaw. It saved me a lot of time and avoided any splits while trying to drill thin wood.
                    That's a good idea. In my case the flatwork was laster cut. It would just split along the grain.

Comment

On the same topic: Just noticed that Mojo has extra long C8 magnets suitable for 8-stringers so those are at least possible to source. They are even long enough for slanted 8-stringer HBs (I'm doing a "fan fret" 8-stringer)

Comment

I'm working on getting a laser cutter to make my own parts. I have many 8 string designs that I would like to come into reality...one is a humbucker with 4 blades, very similar in appearance to a BKP black hawk, but different build and configuration. Blades on a fan fret would be perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by RCI Guitars View Post
                          I'm working on getting a laser cutter to make my own parts.
                          That would be the way to go!

I'm actually surprised how cheap some of them are. I might have to get one myself.

Comment

even cheaper if you know someone haha get this we know a sign maker and he is abit of a spendaholic he bought quite a large laser for $3000 australian and hasnt used it at all not even plugged it in so im going to offer him $2000 for it see what he says haha maybe even less barter him up to it
                            Thanks, Nathan.

Comment

What about baseplates?

Comment

Working...
                              X