Crate gt212 volume dropping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate gt212 volume dropping

I have a crate gt212 that is having some issues and I just cannot seem to figure out. Everything works fine at low volumes, but after turning it up even just a bit, the sound just fades out totally..
    I've figure out that if I crank the volume knob up just over 3/4 it jumps back in (scaring the hell out of me and anybody in the house) and after that happens it works just fine at any volume. I just hate having to do this to get the thing to work, and I'm in no financial place for a replacement for quite some time, otherwise I'd just trash it.

I've checked the fuse, even pulled it apart to see if I noticed anything that's obviously malfunctioned or burnt out but I didn't notice anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

There is a sticky post about switching jacks at the top of the maintenance page. It may help solve these types of problems.
    Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Repair
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by metalhguitarist View Post
      I have a crate gt212 that is having some issues and I just cannot seem to figure out. Everything works fine at low volumes, but after turning it up even just a bit, the sound just fades out totally..
      I've figure out that if I crank the volume knob up just over 3/4 it jumps back in (scaring the hell out of me and anybody in the house) and after that happens it works just fine at any volume. I just hate having to do this to get the thing to work, and I'm in no financial place for a replacement for quite some time, otherwise I'd just trash it.

I've checked the fuse, even pulled it apart to see if I noticed anything that's obviously malfunctioned or burnt out but I didn't notice anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
      Re-solder the entire circuit board. Clean all the controls and jacks.
      That will make it work again, until it fails for another reason.

Comment

Hello,
        I have a Crate G-40 C, I bought it used at a swap meet. I had problems switching channels. After all the advice from different forums, getting the schematic, and hair pulling, it turned out to be a simple fix. Clean the pots and switches.
        It is an idiosyncrasy of Crates that the jacks are in the circuit, and must be clean to complete it. Its not good or bad thats just the way it is. After the fix it works great. I fail to see how you could buy a better amp for the same price!!!
        Last edited by SpareRibs; 01-20-2013, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X