Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who sells "Made in USA" part of all sorts??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who sells "Made in USA" part of all sorts??

I want to support as many Domestic suppliers as possible.

Thank you.

-Rob

That's really funny, because I just ordered some USA tube sockets, from Millen Hardware.
    I wanted my build to have USA parts. The four octal sockets cost me $140.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	millen octal socket.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	518.6 KB
ID:	827934Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1090.JPG
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	827937 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1092.JPG
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	827938
    Of course, these are the best octal sockets available, better materials, thick steel mounting flanges...5700 Volt rating etc...used on many legendary amps, like REAL SVTs...Sunn 2000s, Model T, Collins Radio Transmitters, they ooze quality and USA Mojo, made in USA by American Workers --I want it, I want it! Gimme dos sockets!!!
    But the thing is when I ordered them, first they sent me the sockets, without the mounting hardware...and then they sent the mountings, with the incorrect sized lock rings...and after spending $140, and two shipments later, three phone calls later, I still don't have the correct factory parts to assemble the sockets. And, the people at Millen don't have a CLUE what size parts are correct for their own assemblies. They don't even measure the parts before shipping them to customers, to verify correctness. They forgot about quality control long ago --- I "guess." They obviously DID make mistakes, and WON'T admit the errors.
    Millen: I don't assemble a 27 MM OD socket with 25 MM ID lock-rings, wake up, IT DON'T FIT. GOLF BALL THRU GARDEN HOSE!!!

But then, I can order Really (really) nicely made socket from Hong Kong, with great, machined gold plated hardware for $6 EACH.
    And, it has a very fine glazed ceramic finish, really finely machined parts, and sweet gold plated thick solder turrets...what's wrong with it? Nothing.

Name:	IMG_1088.JPG
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	827936So, where is the attraction? The point being that USA has lost it's desire to produce. We have rolled out the carpet to the Chinese, to eat us alive. And 99% of us don't even give a crap.

Name:	IMG_1087.JPG
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	827935
    You will find some really nice chassis parts, transformers, and potentiometers, made in Canada by Canadians. Very nicely made, and built to last.
    At least CANADA has not lost it's MOJO. They still have manufacturing PRIDE!
    So, the best you are going to do, is to buy parts made in NORTH AMERICA. Maybe not all in USA, but at least SOME of the people on the continent have not thrown in the towel - to the Chinese...
    Chassis: Hammond, Made in Canada (get a steel chassis, forget aluminum)
    Transformers: Mercury USA or Hammond Canada (Mercury is a sweet tranny if you have the $$$)
    Potentiometers: Precision Electronics, Canada (The best around, these days)
    Resistors, Capacitors: Vishay Canada, Cornell Dubilier USA
    Incidentally, FYI: "Illinois Capacitor" is not made in Illinois, it's Chinese! (what a cute name)
    Last edited by soundguruman; 01-29-2013, 10:13 AM.

Comment

It's pronounced I Ling Wa Capacitor.

Those Hong Kong made sockets are beautiful, any details of the supplier? However, I heard that the terminals of tube sockets are supposed to have some play in the housing, so the tube pins don't get stressed by any slight misalignment. Those look quite firmly bolted in place.
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Interesting. I'm really looking more along the lines of AlNiCo Magnets and Coil Wire, though.

And Soundguru, I have an old (OLD) USA made tube amp (kit?) with sockets JUST like that. I can get back to you with specs on the mounting rings.

-Robert

Comment

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
          Interesting. I'm really looking more along the lines of AlNiCo Magnets and Coil Wire, though.

And Soundguru, I have an old (OLD) USA made tube amp (kit?) with sockets JUST like that. I can get back to you with specs on the mounting rings.

-Robert
          You didn't specify for Pickups.
          The Amp group chimed in even though you were in the Pickup Makers BC area.
          Most of the guys that use american made parts, have them specially made for them.
          None of the builders that use special made parts, as far as I know share any with the rest of the winding community.
          There are some American made base plates, and keeper bars, as far as magnets, I know of none.
          Most are made in China.
          If anyone knows of american made magnets, that don't have to be specially ordered or made, please let us know!
          The wire made by Elektrisola that most wire suppliers sell, I think is made in Indiana, USA.
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            You didn't specify for Pickups.
            Well this is the pickup makers forum. I thought he meant pickup parts.

I don't know how much of the commercially available molded plastic parts are made in the US. I think most are from Korea.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
            X