Road King II conversion from 110v to 240v with TAD Power Transformer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road King II conversion from 110v to 240v with TAD Power Transformer

Hi Guys... I'm new here... so be gentle :-)

I have a RK II which is USA version currently working ( PT installed is 561142) with a dropdown transformer from 240v to 110v from the mains socket.

I bought a TAD Power Transformer which they say 'drops right in' equivalent to mesa PN:561143. But I see I need to change MOV for 275v and maybe add a couple of capacitors... which is where I get a little lost regarding the input power PCB in the RK II which needs some re-configuring with the MOV's and added Caps and a change of fuse from 4 amp as fitted to 2 amp as specified in the schematic.

Has anyone got any advice regarding exactly where those caps go and exactly which type of capacitors I need on that power board?

I have the schematic but I really want to get this right as its an expensive amp. The PT I have is a direct replacement for the Export version... but the one in there is the US one. It looks like that input power board as fitted can be changed accordingly. If anyone has photos of the UK one in a RK II showing components BOTH sides that would also help tremendously.

I have built a couple of amps historically so have some idea within limits of what I am doing but ANY help would be appreciated to get this conversion done without any problems.

Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by roadking; 01-30-2013, 03:30 PM. Reason: added P numbers etc

Bump..

Comment

The schematic is for the export transformer.
      It appears that they double up on the MOV's.
      Without the 110V version I cannot say about the caps.
      Maybe the voltage rating?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 02-03-2013, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
        The schematic is for the export transformer.
        It appears that they double up on the MOV's.
        Without the 110V version I cannot say about the caps.
        Maybe the voltage rating?
        Yes I saw that on page 4 of the schematic that the USA has no caps shown. Stephan from TAD says it works with or without the caps but he kindly offered to send me some which I'm waiting for right now.

Ill post on here what they are.

If anyone has ever done this conversion I would like a shot of the converted board really... but thats OK if not.

Thanks for your help btw...

Comment

I have now completed this 117v to 240v and am putting a video together to show what I did and what Parts I used to achieve the conversion..

The video will be on my youtube at Tony Mckenzie's Guitar Channel - YouTube and my write up plus video will be on Reviews of Guitars, Amps, Effects, Music, Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, Mesa Boogie, Marshall, Amps, Splawn, Ceriatone, Kemper, Roland, Boss by Tony mckenzie : www.tonymckenzie.com in due course if anyone is interested.

Give it a week or so from this entry... and thanks Jazz P Bass for the help.

Comment

Working...
          X