Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone control to tone stack...

Hi all,

I have a little single ended EL84 amp that started out life as a Kalamazzo Model 2. It currently has a tweed style preamp with a single tone control. I'm going to rebuild this amp in a larger cabinet to have a larger chassis and speaker.

I'm considering replacing the single tweed style tone control with a bass and treble tone stack, probably like the one in a blackface champ. But I don't want to affect the overall grit and grind of the amp which I like.

How much signal loss would I see using this type of tone stack over a simple tone control?

thanks,

Steve

I have a silverface Champ with VTB controls. I like it better with the tweed style tone control and no feedback in the output stage. You could add a simple Bass cut contol that would be out of the circuit when the bass is all the way up.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I prefer most single ended EL84 amps with just a volume control and that us usually all the way up. There is plenty if tone control in pickup selection and tone controls on the guitar. If you use a boost pedal with tone controls you are set. I run a stock VJ head through an open back cab with a 12" Eminence and use a Bad Monkey for an OD. It's a very loud and aggressive 5 watts. I use it so much that I have been thinking of building a 12" speaker open back cabinet EL84 5 watt combo myself.

Comment

You can use a Bandmaster TS, in his book Merlin shows an improve model, still, there is a db loss in gain, so you can't really keep the same grit as with a Princeton Tone control. But you can modify the amp to get more gain from the triodes, on the schematic i found, there is no decoupling of the triodes, and you can use 220K plate resistors, or more (not sure the tremolo would still work the same).

Comment

You could increase the plate resistor to get more gain as kleuk says but you need a tone stack that has a higher impedance and does not load it down too much. Hey, I got one.

Comment

Working...
          X