Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the plastic tubing that comes with a pickup for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the plastic tubing that comes with a pickup for?

i have bought a couple of pickups recently and noticed they both came with two pieces of short plastic tubing as well as two springs, Now i know what the springs are for but what are these plastic pieces for i cannot for the life of me figure it out.

It's called 'guitar pickup mounting rubber'.
    You can use it instead of the spring.
    Less vibration.
    Link: Guitar Pickup Mounting Rubber

Comment

LOL

"Compressible Tubing"

I think it's made of latex but I'm not sure.

-Rob

Comment

There can be a great many extraneous sources of vibrational noise in an electric guitar, that will drive a player bonkers. And vibrating adjustment springs/screws is one of them.

Personally, I'm waiting to see when someone comes up with "silent" vibrato springs that have a light rubber or vinyl coating to dampen them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
          There can be a great many extraneous sources of vibrational noise in an electric guitar, that will drive a player bonkers. And vibrating adjustment springs/screws is one of them.

Personally, I'm waiting to see when someone comes up with "silent" vibrato springs that have a light rubber or vinyl coating to dampen them.
          You must be the only one, because every devoted floating bridge/tremolo user I know of, including myself - 1) takes the back covers off, and 2) has an appreciation for the natural reverb of the tremolo springs. If yours are rattling in an unpleasant way, you should get that fixed.

-Rob

Comment

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
            You must be the only one, because every devoted floating bridge/tremolo user I know of, including myself - 1) takes the back covers off, and 2) has an appreciation for the natural reverb of the tremolo springs. If yours are rattling in an unpleasant way, you should get that fixed.

-Rob
            Noiseless Springs [ANS0001] - $9.95 : FU-TONE.COM, OFFICIAL BIG BLOCK PERFORMANCE UPGRADES FOR YOUR GUITAR!

There you do!!! Seen many other types to including what looks to be a heavy gauge shrink tubing on the springs

Comment

Wow, that place spreads a little BS to go along with the FU.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                Tell me about it! There's nothing special at all about those springs. They look just like new springs from Fender to me; maybe with a new coat of poly on them to gloss'm up a bit. What a steamin' pile...

-Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
                  The spring "reverb" sound is part of what makes a Strat a Strat! I kind of like it.

You can also just put a piece of foam between the springs and the body.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                    They also seem to be taking credit for the Babicz full contact bridge!

FU-FCH BRIDGE [FU-FCH] - $179.95 : FU-TONE.COM, OFFICIAL BIG BLOCK PERFORMANCE UPGRADES FOR YOUR GUITAR!

How about a $450 tremolo block?

http://www.fu-tone.com/catalog/index...roducts_id=182

"...
                    provides the most amazing tonal response ever heard from a Floyd Rose."

EVER! That and some paper-in-oil caps and you are all set.

I think it's time for this again...
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

WTF!
                      'The volume knob creates vibrations that get in the signal path.'
                      What a planet!
                      7 billion idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                        WTF!
                        'The volume knob creates vibrations that get in the signal path.'
                        What a planet!
                        7 billion idiots.
                        Not all idiots. Only the ones that paid $485 for a stinkin' wooden knob. And I'm sure they had some sales.

But none of us bought them, so we are cool.

Now just stay away from the $50 fake paper-in oil-tone caps! lol

Comment

That website just looks to me like a small part of an elaborate insurance scam. Just imagine the losses they could claim if they were stolen, or if there to be a small fire in the corner of their shop where those darn pieces of wood were stored.... Insurance guy says, "Oh you lost 50 wooden knobs?? So, 50$ should cover it...?" Shop owner says "HELL NO! Those were special!!! Worth a damned 485$ EACH!! I got a WEBSITE to PROVE IT!! Now git'cher checkbook out, Imma need 24250$!!!! I gots meh some ordahs to feeell!!!" LOL

-Rob

Comment

Hey now, easy there fellows. I happen to make a large part of my income from making aftermarket wooden knobs. I don't get quite that much but you'd be surprised how time consuming something like that is even if it's all CNC machined. You spend 2 x the time sanding and another 4x finishing them.
                            Regarding the titanium bridge blocks, until you've spent a day trying to drill deep holes in titanium you might want to reconsider that price.
                            I've made plenty of tone blocks and they are time consuming. He sells the copper and brass ones for a lot less that I'd want.

Comment

Oh that Kyle is a real hoot.
                              He 'modifies' units for audiophile customers.
                              As of this writing he is MIA. (I cannot imagine why, after reading some of the stuff he pulled.)
                              Here is a low down:AudiogoN Forums: Anyone get jipped by Reference Audio Mods?
                              And check out this 'mod' he did to a CD player.:Impressions & Review (With Pics): Sony XA9000ES w/ Reference Audio Mods Modifications | Steve Hoffman Music Forums
                              Sigh. I'm in the wrong business.

Comment

Working...
                              X