"new" old fuzz...the Suzy-Q Kustom Harmonic Clipper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "new" old fuzz...the Suzy-Q Kustom Harmonic Clipper

so...on the other forum we were talking about old Kustom amps...

i wondered what the "harmonic clipper" circuit would sound like, digi2t was kind enough to isolate the fuzz section of the "special effects board" schematic.

i always LOVED kustoms, so i had to build one. this isn't exact to the original schematic, and the circuit was adapted to run at 9v instead of 12.. it was also designed to have a preamp pushing it. dino built one on his breadboard, and wasn't impressed.

i, of course, had to try it on vero... i made it a little different from dino's schem, for one thing, i started at the 100k pot at the input to the circuit.
    and instead of using BPT's, i opted for mosfets... vn2222's, which i REALLY like quite a bit.
    since i'm a hack, i don't worry about using stuff where i shouldn't... i figure either it will work, or it won't. so i just plugged them motherfuckers in.

fired it up...and i LIKED it. it really sounded like the old john fogarty sound once i dialed up some tremolo and reverb on my amp.

i took it out live, but it was TOO brite... so i added a couple small snubbers, which took care of the earwigs without fucking up the tone and vibe too bad, and now it's a cool little standalone fuzz, in some ways it reminds me of tim escobedo's harmonic jerkulator.

so here's the vero, as it were... i call it the "suzy-q"...

here's the schem i worked from, tho i had to mod a few values... was setup as too much of a treble booster as per the original, so i put bigger caps in, which helped:

here's the original schem, fwiw...

it's a cool little fuzz... stupid pedal trick coming soon! it really likes it when you roll your tone knob way down, and then sweep up to the "sweet spot"... it cleans up fairly well from the guitar, too. so.... if'n you're bored sometime...
Working...
X