how do you guys strip teflon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you guys strip teflon?

I use teflon and have for a good while, but i never really looked at ways to strip it cleanly and quickly. What methods do you guys use? Is there one preferred one?

Hi Daz,

Are you having problems with it, or just curious for another way? I've read that having very sharp strippers is one way. But rather than buy all new tools frequently, I just downsize the stripper I use by one size. I just don't squeeze it all the way. I squeeze gradually to bite into the insulation while pulling on the wire, and it will usually pop right off. It's a bit slower perhaps, but it works for me. I usually don't cut any strands unless I rush, and I use thicker wire than I can get away with so I don't worry too much about it.

If I use the correct stripper size, it only takes half of the insulation off or peels an outer layer & leaves a film. Easily fixed but blah... The Tefzel I got a little bit of seems to strip easier and holds shape better than Teflon & doesn't melt... Just another option.

HTH,
    Justin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
      Hi Daz,

Are you having problems with it, or just curious for another way? I've read that having very sharp strippers is one way. But rather than buy all new tools frequently, I just downsize the stripper I use by one size. I just don't squeeze it all the way. I squeeze gradually to bite into the insulation while pulling on the wire, and it will usually pop right off. It's a bit slower perhaps, but it works for me. I usually don't cut any strands unless I rush, and I use thicker wire than I can get away with so I don't worry too much about it.

If I use the correct stripper size, it only takes half of the insulation off or peels an outer layer & leaves a film. Easily fixed but blah... The Tefzel I got a little bit of seems to strip easier and holds shape better than Teflon & doesn't melt... Just another option.

HTH,
      Justin
      I just find that it's too easy to nick the wire so i was looking for a better way. I've used that Tefzel too, in fact i have some. But the teflon i can get locally and super cheap and i like the wire itself better due to the way it's nicely tinned. Just wish there was a easier and more reliable method of stripping it quick w/o any wire damage. I often use really heavy wire like 16 or 18 instead of 20 because if you nick it theres plenty left to hold if a few strands break.

Comment

A thermal stripper is the only way to go. For mods to circuit boards with surface mount components I use #30 teflon wire. The best feature is that you can solder one end of the wire, lay it down exactly where you want it. Then cut to the exact length you need. Reach into the chassis with the stripper without removing the wire, give it a 90 degree turn to strip the wire and solder it down. Nothing is easier but the stripper is not cheap.
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I use my soldering iron to melt off the insulation on all the 30 gauge teflon stuff I use. It doesn't really melt per se, but weakens enough for it be pulled off by pinning it between the soldering iron and something hard. I'd be a bit worried if it did melt and start releasing fumes, being teflon and all! I dunno if this will work on heavier gauge stuff, though.

Comment

I like the Ideal "T Stripper" for TFE. Works well....
            IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC. - Reflex™ Super TŪ-Stripper
            The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

I just used these today....hotweezers.com
              When I worked building military aircraft electronics they were what we used. You can find them used relatively cheap. They get really hot! and go through Teflon like butter.
              Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

Comment

When I need to strip teflon wire I use a Patco Model PTS-30 thermal wire stripper. I learned about this relatively inexpensive thermal stripper from the forum thread at http://music-electronics-forum.com/t26466/ It took a little practice to get the feel of using it but I really like it and no longer hesitate to use teflon wire since stripping it is no longer a hassle.
                Tom

Comment

Working...
                X