Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone make a replacement Epiphone New York pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone make a replacement Epiphone New York pickup?

Hi all, my boss has a late fifties Epiphone Zephyr he needs to have restored. Someone in the past replaced the bridge New York pickup with a DeArmond (yuck!!) and he'd like a repro installed. Do any of you make a repro or know of a repro maker that makes such a thing? Thanks!!

Originally posted by MKB View Post
    Hi all, my boss has a late fifties Epiphone Zephyr he needs to have restored. Someone in the past replaced the bridge New York pickup with a DeArmond (yuck!!) and he'd like a repro installed. Do any of you make a repro or know of a repro maker that makes such a thing? Thanks!!
    Zephyrs had different types of pickups over the years including DeArmonds in the 50's. There's nothing wrong with DeArmond pickups. DeArmond made a lot of pickups for different companies. DeArmonds were an option on Zephyrs. Some also had Gibson mini humbuckers.

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/epiphon2.html#zephyr
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I used to have a New Yorker pickup on my Epi Windsor that got stolen (if you ever see a blonde one around with a pair of HBs that have gold-plated no-hole covers and a neck to die for, it's MINE and I want it back). I gave the pickup to Mark Knopfler, but I doubt that he ever used it.

Although there are certainly many other fine pickups that would physically fit the available space and deliver fine tone, the New Yorker is cosmetically rather unique, having a real ivory end-piece. I've never seen anything else on the market like it, but then I imagine there are plenty of builders who could likely make you a cosmetic match with bone or antlers or whatnot.

Mine was a very "meaty" sounding pickup. Not having played any others, I can't tell you if that was specific to that one, how it sounds on THAT guitar, or a general property of all of them. As near as I could tell (and can remember, because it has been over 20 years now since I last saw it), it was a flattish bobbin, and the screw polepieces that gave the appearance of it being a dual coil pickup were actually outside the bobbin proper, such that the sensing area was between the screws and the magnetic core of the bobbin hidden under the cover.

Comment

Depending on the type of DeArmond pickup, they're bringing some bucks on ebay, plus some of them sound very nice too....

Comment

Epiphone 'Classic Alnico' questions

What is "Classic" Alnico?, 57' classic HB is the only bell this rings for me.
          The recommendation to buy an EPI LP, do the necessary setup/replace pickups was made to me, since I already knew that route very well and needed a replacement for that guitar, I followed it again, new EPI LP, reworked.
          So my questions start with more background.
          I'm starting a rumor that there are many EPI PU's floating around, and that some research on rewind/upgradability has been done.
          I'd like to know more about where 'Classic' Alnico
          falls among the other 'numerical' Alnico's, particularly 1-5.
          I have some Stew Mac HB kits and 42 wire on the way, Sewing machine lathed back to a nice flat flywheel, calc. counter "='s" footpad goes on the needle shaft tomorrow.
          Any suggestions about setting up the guide and handrest on a sewing machine are welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by petemoore View Post
            What is "Classic" Alnico?, So my questions start with more background. I'd like to know more about where 'Classic' Alnico
            falls among the other 'numerical' Alnico's, particularly 1-5.
            I think that your taking the word 'classic' in this context literally as being a specific category/grade of Alnico. There really is no classic grade of Alnico. ....only Alnico.

There are grades 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8 that are most commonly used for guitar pickups. Alnico 5 has the most strength (some folks differ on this) and probably is the most popular.

When one is speaking of a "classic" sound/tone with regard to magnets (e.g., P.A.F.) they're probably referring to either A2 or A5 which were generally the grades loaded into pickups in the past as well as now to recreate a vintage sound. . Some pickup makers also degauss (reduce the charge) of the magnets to capture a specific tone....also to mimic magnets that have aged or lost their charge naturally over time....

Below is the definition of "classic" taken from Dictionary.com.

Definition
            clas·sic ---adjective 1. of the first or highest quality, class, or rank: a classic piece of work.
            2. serving as a standard, model, or guide: the classic method of teaching arithmetic.
            3. of or pertaining to Greek and Roman antiquity, esp. with reference to literature and art.
            4. modeled upon or imitating the style or thought of ancient Greece and Rome: The 17th and 18th centuries were obsessed with classic ideals.
            5. of or adhering to an established set of artistic or scientific standards or methods: a classic example of mid-Victorian architecture.
            6. basic; fundamental: the classic rules of warfare.
            7. of enduring interest, quality, or style: a classic design; classic clothes.
            8. of literary or historical renown: the classic haunts of famous writers.
            9. traditional or typical: a classic comedy routine.
            10. definitive: the classic reference work on ornithology.
            Last edited by kevinT; 07-29-2007, 09:31 PM.
            www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

epi

Classic means...something to put in the ad which sounds...vintage and classy.
              What I'd like to know is:
              what type of Alnico they have to start with?
              Are they worth trying to get 'something else' [like more highs/lows/output]by re-winding them? [I'm leaving this question generalized because I'm in the dark, haven't read anything about 'success stories' on doing EPI HB rewinds, which is what I may be looking for in vain.
              Have there been any EPI rewinds that were purported as 'fruitful' [worth it]?
              What approach would that be? [overwinding/underwinding...anything else?].
              This pickup wind will be my first, I'll probably start with the new Stewmac HB kits anyway...just wondering if anyone has figured a way to get 'something different and hotter' out of rewound EPI fodder.
              EPI pickups sound great, if you're into like softer jazzy tones, they didn't exhibit the wide freq response of...'upgrade' pickups.
              Most EPI buyers are rock players, and just boost the output or upgrade' the LP's pickups with hotter ones, I would guess there are new EPI pickups sitting on counters and shelves, in boxes, just like my Classic Alnico LP sets [4 HB's], which were replaced with Burstbuckers pair and Dimarzio's pair.
              Looking for suggestions about what not to do with them, or...what to do with them...leave them sitting or try a rewind...kind of looking for 'odds on favorite' or loser's tales, so as to not waste #42.

Comment

Hi, well

A rewind on those EPI buckers would be a definite improvement over stock for sure. I'm not sure if they have brass base plates but that is a downfall there as it will make the pickup a little dull unless you underwind them a bit. The best bucker candidate for rewinds to me are the Duncan Designed buckers that are made in korea or china or where ever, they basically have the same exact parts as a regular Duncan made in the US but are churned out by the thousands and dont sound near as good as a regular US duncan. But it's a good base for a rewind IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by petemoore View Post
                  Classic means...something to put in the ad which sounds...vintage and classy.
                  What I'd like to know is:
                  what type of Alnico they have to start with?
                  It's all marketing speak. Classic alnico pickups would mean to me, PAF style pickups with alnico magnets. That would probably be Alnico V. I like Alnico II a lot.

I haven't heard any Epi pickups that I liked. Rewinding them should be a big improvement.
                  Last edited by David Schwab; 07-30-2007, 01:10 AM.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                  X