Vox Tonelab ST output level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox Tonelab ST output level

I bought an older Vox Tonelab ST. It works OK, but I guess its output level is low. If I choose some amp simulation and set both gain, volume, EQ and level pots to max there's only about 0.5V RMS on output and so for "normal" bank settings only about 0.1-0.3V RMS. It isnt sufficient to drive transistor or valve guitar power amp with typically about 0.7- 1.5V RMS sensitivity for full power output. I tried to change the valve but nothing improved.
    I would like to know if this effect output level is normal or my unit has some problem to repair it.

Hi Dobrota
    I haven't got one so I can't advise if the low level is normal for that model
    but considering that the stereo output socket is supposed to be capable of driving headphones I would suspect a fault.
    The obvious things I would check first would be the 4 position output select switch on the back .
    From the user manual (for onlookers):-

"Set the AMP/LINE switch appropriately for the type of device you’ll be connecting to the OUTPUT/PHONES jack.
    Set the AMP/LINE switch as follows.
    AMP (VOX, F, M)
    If you’re connecting a guitar amp, choose the VOX, F, or M setting. This setting will compensate the output from the
    amp model as necessary. However, compensation will not be applied if the amp model is off.

VOX:
    Use this setting if the output is connected to an amp that has a distinctive mid-range such as the AC30 openbacked
    combo amp made by the VOX Corporation.

F:
    Use this setting if the output is connected to a typical clean-sounding US-made open-backed combo amp.

M:
    Use this setting if the output is connected to a stacktype amp such as a 4x12 closed-back cabinet."

LINE
    Use this setting if the output is connected to your guitar amp’s power amp, to an audio system, mixer, or recorder,
    or to headphones."

You should be able to hear some variations between "Vox,F & M" as you switch
    between them and switching to "Line" should create a huge increase in level.

Another obvious thing would be the output level pot on the back - see if, as you turn it slowly ,the output level changes smoothly and there are no sudden changes in level suggesting a damaged pot or rotary encoder.

Unfortunately I can't find a service manual for the ST , the TT and SE are all over the web but no ST !

Thus I don't know if it is a rotary encoder or not- if these get a sudden
    knock the innards can get damaged - had a "3in 1" hi fi with a damaged encoder
    and all sorts of weird things went on when I tried to adjust the volume!

Anyhow if the output level pot seems to behave like its s'posed to - smoothly
    turn volume up and down I would guess it's ok.

Have you tried re-setting it back to factory default ?

Again from the user manual (for onlookers):-
    "Restoring the factory settings
    Here’s how to restore the ToneLab ST to its factory-set state.
    NOTE: This operation will initialize the programs you’ve saved, returning all of them to the factory-set programs.
    1. Turn the power off.
    2. While holding down the EXIT/TUNE switch and EXP PARAM screen, turn the power on.
    3. When the UP/DOWN pedal LEDs blink, release the switches.
    HINT: If you decide to cancel this procedure, press the EXIT/TUNE switch.
    4. Press the WRITE switch.
    Initialization will be completed, the program display will indicate “0”.
    NOTE: Never turn the power off while initialization is being performed."

If there are some user patches you like to keep I would suggest downloading the vox libary software and drivers and using the usb port to save the settings before doing a factory reset.

"Using Librarian Software
    If you install the USB-MIDI driver on your computer, you’ll be able to use the dedicated librarian software to back up programs
    and manage your data library.
    Download the USB-MIDI driver and the librarian software from the manufacturer’s website
    (VOX | Software Downloads).
    For details on using the librarian software, refer to the owner’s manual (PDF file) of the librarian software."

For the less obvious faults It could be possible the input buffer is damaged
    (overloaded by a speaker output for example) but in that case the noise floor would rise as the signal through the whole unit would be considerably reduced.
    If this was the case you would notice a lot of noise along with the quiet signal.
    One other thing I found on the Vox discussion forums was a pedal that didn't work at all due to an open (burnt out) 22ohm 2 watt resistor which I presume is in series with the incoming power.
    Although I doubt you have this fault it may pay to check that it is still 22 ohms and not starving the unit of power.
    Attached photo courtesy of timblade68 VOX Discussion Forums.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Tonelab-ST--2-watt-22ohm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	828037
    Maybe posting this request in the Vox discussion forums may connect you up with some other owners.

Comment

Tonelab ST output level

Hi,

1) Yes, Vox / F / M / Line switch works and there is difference in sound if I change its position, Line has higher level then others

2) Output level pot works ok

3) I didn't try re-setting to factory default, thanks for Your advice

4) I'll also checked other things according to informations from forum, thanks again !

Comment

Working...
      X