Same pickup with different magnets soundclips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same pickup with different magnets soundclips

Here's my example of same pickup with different magnets. I made two four coil Jazz bass pickups and tested one of them with both ceramic and neo magnets. Nothing but magnets was changed between clips.
    Here's one with ceramics

Maihinnousu - Lataa - MPU - 4coilc

And here's one with neos.

Maihinnousu - Lataa - MPU - 4coiln

I hear some difference but not much. What do you hear?
    Marko

They're very close. I think the ceramics have a bit more bite than the neo's and maybe a bit more sustain. Neos sound smoother, more rounded to my ears.

EDIT: I think I listened to the clips in reverse. The "4coiln" clip sounds like it has more bite and the "4coilc" sounds more rounded.
    Last edited by Stratz; 02-13-2013, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Very close.

The Neodymium magnets give it more attack, a broader band sound like a piezo electric at the note's start.

Either one is good to my ears.
      "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

I would measure the magnetic field at the strings, to see if this is part of the acoustic difference.

Comment

I don't have equipment to measure that. By feel I'd say these neos have stronger pull than the ceramics I tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Marko Ursin View Post
            I don't have equipment to measure that. By feel I'd say these neos have stronger pull than the ceramics I tried.
            Periodically there is a group buy of a suitable gauss meter at a reasonable price. Soldering is often required.

Comment

Marco,

I just finished wiring up my Elepro Gauss meter MkIII so I'd be willing to let go of my MKII as soon as the new one is calibrated.

I'm not sure what order I listened to them in but I think I liked the first one better. How many turns are you getting and what AWG?

Comment

There's 10000 rounds of AWG 42 wire on each coil. Coils are a bit taller and smaller in diameter than coils in Wal clones. Otherwise they would not fit in J covers.
                What kind of a price are you thinking for the mkII?

Comment

Thanks Marko that's good to know. I'd love to hear what an Alnico rod does inside the bobbin. I'm also wondering if you've tried a lower impedance design say 39AWG x 3000 turns?

The Mk-II cost us about $75 for the parts and the PCB I think. I'll PM you when I get the MK III up and running.

Comment

I have Alnico versions too. I'll check later if I have those in some clips. Not much different anyway, I'd say less difference than between neo and ceramic.

Comment

Working...
                    X