• Show
Clear All

• Mitchell "Deluxe" combo amp

Hey there! I have this amp....Click image for larger version

Name:	mitchell amp ad 1980.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	867111

It's been busted for the longest time and now I'm trying to restore it.
    This MKI schematic is really close to it's circuit...Click image for larger version

Name:	mk1b.gif
Views:	1
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	867112

Only there is no EQ in the Mitchell or four 6L6, just two. I replaced the power transformer and I'm getting 480V DC at the plates. The cleans from input #1 are great, but input #2 has me wondering what they were thinking. Shouldn't the gain addition be after the tone control? I seems that the added "full bandwidth" stage is too much. Also, the reverb is really lacking when input #2 is played and even with the reverb control at 10, it seems to not have enough reverb.

Does anyone have anything on these Mitchell amps? Or, can you advise as to how I can make it function as a MKI clone?
    Thanks
    Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

I know I worked on one before, but I can't find it in my database.

Not alot of info on these, a Japanese Mesa clone from the 80's right?

Comment

Actually an American Mesa clone from the 80's.

Comment

Yeah, remember the "Sand Amp"?Mitchell MLT 10 Sand Amp #0771 Front
        It was like an open back cabinet that directed all the sound towards the front out of a big port below the speakers, it weighed a lot because he packed sand into the plywood inside the cabinet.

Comment

I saw this MKII schematic and it looks like it address some of the issues I'm having with this MKI clone...Click image for larger version

Name:	mesaboogiemark2.gif
Views:	2
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	828079

It takes the gain/distortion stage and places it behind the "Normal stage". And for the reverb, it makes return in two differant places depending on which mode your in. I dont think it helps me much because I really cant configure mine like a MKII with just jacks to work with, no relays.

Comment

http://elderly.com/images/books/603.5/320-1.jpg

Same Tom Mitchell?
            The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Don't know about that, but I vaguely remember someone in a forum saying it wasn't the same guy.

I've replaced the .01uf after input #2 with a .001uf and it helped. Also added a .001 across the 100k ohm plate resistor on the same stage. I think I need to scope out the reverb lessening when higher gains are dialed in to see what's going on.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X