Ran out of black lead wire @#!%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ran out of black lead wire @#!%

Lead wire is better than it's ever been. But it's frikin expensive. I don't build for a living so I really can't keep 500' spools of each color around. I buy smaller quantities, and sometimes I run out. It's maddening. I don't want to spend half of my rent money on spools of lead wire to be certain I don't run short. Oh, and I can't even use the PVC stuff anymore. Spoiled with Silicone and Teflon. My soldering is solid, but it ain't pretty. And I'm a little clumsy too. Heat resistant wire coatings have proved to be my friends. So here's what I'm thinking...

Just buy one big spool of white wire and a multi color pack of Sharpies! Mark the ends of the hookups with your favorite color designation to make circuit tracing almost as easy as using different colors of wire. I know it's not going to be pretty, but I'm not hung up on that. And a single 500' spool of wire is A LOT cheaper than five different color 100' spools. Plus, you never run out of a specific color!

Just sharing. But I'm open to any other ideas.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Hey Chuck. About the Silicone and Teflon. What do you prefer? This is the shop I order parts at (EU). White does not seem to be cheaper. Which gauge are you using?

Tube-Town Online-Store - Silicon Wire spool

Comment

That's actually cheaper than I've ever seen it. On the order of 60% cheaper. I'm in the US though. I'll peruse the site and see what I can dig up about sourcing it here or shipping.

I've used both. I think I prefere PTFE because it's stiff, but not too stiff. But it's harder to strip and more expensive.

Thanks

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Hey Chuck,

Sounds like a good idea to me... can I steal it? I've also put on shrink wrap of various colors. May not be cheaper, but more convenient til I get a decent parts order together. Shrink wrap I can get all over town; decent wire? Hahahahaha! I'm in the same boat - really don't ever need more than a few feet of anything. Just make sure your Sharpies are the industrial kind - the office grade ones fade with heat/harsh environments.

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Chuck,

You should check out this place I used to work at below. They are in the Northwest (Cornelius, Oregon specifically) and are very easy to deal with. Their website isn't the best, but you can just call them (old school I know) and tell them what you are looking for and they can help you. They supply places like Intel with wire and jumpers, and they have pretty low prices as a result and great service too. They carry PVC, Teflon, Kynar, and in all kinds of sizes, thickness of insulation, and colors. I just figure out what I like the first time I talk to them and keep ordering it. They are less than a half mile from my place so it makes it easy because I can just go over there, but check it out and maybe it might help. If you aren't getting a quick answer about what you are looking for from the reception people who answer, ask to speak to Bill (the owner) or Randy (the GM) and tell them Greg Simon sent you and they can help you out quickly.

Greg

Squires Electronics

Comment

Thanks Greg! I'll call. I'm not local enough to pop in there, but shipping outta be fast!!! If the prices are right I'll source there. Shopping on line, I can't figure out why the prices at Tube Town (link above) are soooo much cheaper than I can get good wire in the states!?!

Comment

I used to use these guys for all my shrink tube. The local electronics outlet wanted several dollars for a three or four foot length of shrink tube, but i could buy 100 feet from Weico for $20. That was a while ago, but they seemed cheaper than everyone else. I used to buy their equivalent of Belden 8451, too.

They sell hookup wire in various coverings.

Weico Wire, Cable & Tubing
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                Thanks Greg! I'll call. I'm not local enough to pop in there, but shipping outta be fast!!! If the prices are right I'll source there. Shopping on line, I can't figure out why the prices at Tube Town (link above) are soooo much cheaper than I can get good wire in the states!?!
                You're welcome Chuck. Once you discover the wire that you want from them, then its easy to just reorder stuff. They use industry standard names and nomenclature that most people in the guitar amp industry wouldn't be familiar with, so you have to do a little work at the beginning to discover what the stuff you want is called, but then its easy. They also sell heat shrink tubing, and large buss wire etc. Their wire is really nice too...a LOT better than the stuff CE sells for example. I wish they would carry the cloth wire for when people request it but they don't get enough call for it. I've been meaning to see if they carry good shielded wire but haven't yet.

Greg

Comment

I want to say thanks to all who've responded to this thread. General searches didn't reveal much in the way of options. The major suppliers (that I always buy from) are woefully overpriced as it happens). I've recieved an unprecidented number of PM's on this matter (even from members that haven't posted on this thread!). Maybe I didn't look long or hard or creative enough, but with the help that's been offered I can certainly stay with my MO of using colored lead wire of my preference. Thanks to all posters and PMers on the matter. Just one more note...

It's a new world when the big suppliers charge three times what an independent does. It seems that the profit margin has different criteria depending on your level of visibility! Not that it's a new thing, but three times the cost?!? And the little guys selling at affordable prices just don't pop up in the first three pages of a Google search!

But some good sources have been revealed to me. I can certainly carry on without the need to hock my car for lead wire!

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                    I want to say thanks to all who've responded to this thread. General searches didn't reveal much in the way of options. The major suppliers (that I always buy from) are woefully overpriced as it happens). I've recieved an unprecidented number of PM's on this matter (even from members that haven't posted on this thread!). Maybe I didn't look long or hard or creative enough, but with the help that's been offered I can certainly stay with my MO of using colored lead wire of my preference. Thanks to all posters and PMers on the matter. Just one more note...

It's a new world when the big suppliers charge three times what an independent does. It seems that the profit margin has different criteria depending on your level of visibility! Not that it's a new thing, but three times the cost?!? And the little guys selling at affordable prices just don't pop up in the first three pages of a Google search!

But some good sources have been revealed to me. I can certainly carry on without the need to hock my car for lead wire!

Thanks
                    What kind of car do you have? I might be willing to accept it in trade for lead wire.

Greg

Comment

I buy the different coloured big spools but always keep a spare white one for emergencies.
                      Usually don't use multicoloured Markers (in that case I'd straight buy the wire I'm needing) but apply 1 to 3 dots on each end (any colour) as ID.
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                      X