one question dealing with dropping resisters and filter caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one question dealing with dropping resisters and filter caps

I changed the 1st dropper in my build from 5K to 1K and then added another filter cap . Seems I was getting sag in the 6V6 screens . At idle my plates are 2 volts higher than the screens , before the plates were 25 volt higher than the screens. My build based on a fender 6G2 but has 100 VDC higher plate . My question is this. It seems fender on later amps like the AA964 princeton like all P-P princetons used the 1K 1st dropper and seems all fender amps late ones at least as the dropper resister values went toward the preamp section they increased in value all using the same value filter caps . Now what I did got rid of the raspy OD sound and tightend up the sound and added much more headroom .

But the thing I can't quite understand is I used a 30uf cap then the 1K dropper and then a 16uf cap and a 22K dropper and a 16uf cap and a 10K dropper then a 16uf cap . The and ended up with only 7 VDC more in the preamp rail . But does it matter if I used a lower value dropper the 10K as the last dropper or should I have used the 10K then the 22K after . I see on the AA964 they used two 18K droppers , does this have something to do with time constant ie equal drain or discharge on the filter caps? I hope someone can answer this .

as far as the differing dropping resistors goes they were likely changing them to achieve a certain preamp voltage on the later amps with the higher B+. Although I doubt that 7V more in the preamp would be noticeable.

You are realy just dealing with Ohms law here, the same current is being drawn by the preamp, so the voltage drop is roughly the same, but the voltage is higher going in to the dropper and so is higher coming out. I wouldn't sweat it, I doubt the guys at fender were ever worried about the caps being drained or time constants, that would only happen if the amp was overdriven. No one would do that... Right?

If you want the same voltages you had calculate the current draw from your preamp and adjust the droppers resistance value accordingly.

Comment

Working...
    X