Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickup Wind Designer program ...what would you like to see included ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
    you will find that all 10 don't sound exactly the same. You might agree as you wind more and do more A/B testing with a testbed guitar, YMMV.
    I don't have the greatest set of ears that can hear minute differences between pickups, I've wound a number of pickups I consider to be the same ... I'm sure better ears could pick up differences

Beyond winding patterns (and tension if you are progrsamming for that) there are a few things that affect the wind that are out of the control of your software, these things will always introduce some uniqueness into each individual coil. Varying copper diameter througout a spool and varying insulation thickness through a spool, the room temperature (specially with 44) etc. .
    Agree completely ... my goal is to try to get a coil wind design able to be reliably repetatively manufactured without resorting to parallel layered winding patterns.

most (experienced) winders know that winding pattern isn't the "big deal" some folks tend to hype.
    ... I'll probably figure this out at the end of this project

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      You can't find heavy formvar? Or you mean it was over sized? Try 41 then.
      I have 41SPN, 2 different 42HPN, and a smaller 42HFV, and 43HFV.
      All is acceptable, but IMO none was like the roll of large Essex .00295 42 HFV I ran out of.
      It made great strat neck and middle pickups. I used the smaller for the bridge.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Maybe it was triple build.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

This would be a GREAT function to have, try to follow my train-of-thought here:

Ok, start with, whatever the wind program may be; have it display to the side, what the coil shape would be (if you were looking at the end of it from the side). You know, so you could see if it would be pretty flat and even; or if it would be rounded and bellied out in the middle; or hourglass shaped; or the sloped PAF shape, etc.

Once you have that, then comes the good stuff.

That display of shape would also have maybe 5-7 plot points that can be clicked and dragged up or down (the others would automatically follow a bit to adhere to what is actually possible, but can also be moved to fine tune the shape). That way, you could sort of, draw out the coil shape you want, and the computer would automatically compute the wind program for you to execute.

Mind. Blown.

Am I right??

Tell me this can be done...

-Rob

Comment

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
            This would be a GREAT function to have, try to follow my train-of-thought here:

Ok, start with, whatever the wind program may be; have it display to the side, what the coil shape would be (if you were looking at the end of it from the side). You know, so you could see if it would be pretty flat and even; or if it would be rounded and bellied out in the middle; or hourglass shaped; or the sloped PAF shape, etc.

Once you have that, then comes the good stuff.

That display of shape would also have maybe 5-7 plot points that can be clicked and dragged up or down (the others would automatically follow a bit to adhere to what is actually possible, but can also be moved to fine tune the shape). That way, you could sort of, draw out the coil shape you want, and the computer would automatically compute the wind program for you to execute.

Mind. Blown.

Am I right??

Tell me this can be done...

-Rob
            Rob, see post #24 earlier

Flat = Flat
            Convex = rounded and bellied out in the middle
            Concave = Hourglass

I'm allowing for doing this already ... but I think a visual drag-drop type tool is possible

Comment

Originally posted by Lyrebird Steve View Post
              Rob, see post #24 earlier

Flat = Flat
              Convex = rounded and bellied out in the middle
              Concave = Hourglass

I'm allowing for doing this already ... but I think a visual drag-drop type tool is possible
              That would be an interesting option
              "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I used to wind convex coils, but now I wind flat coils. I haven't noticed any real difference in tone.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Steve:

How's things progressing with the coding for your new CNC winder?
                  Take Care,

Jim. . .
                  VA3DEF

Comment

Work is nuts at the moment ... will find some time to post it all up soon.

Has the issue with attachements to posts been resolved fully ?? It's probably easiest to put it all up in a .PDF file

Comment

Originally posted by Lyrebird Steve View Post
                      Work is nuts at the moment ... will find some time to post it all up soon.

Has the issue with attachements to posts been resolved fully ?? It's probably easiest to put it all up in a .PDF file
                      PDF file? How do you run a CNC winder with a pdf file. . .

Take Care,

Jim. . .
                      VA3DEF

Comment

Working...
                      X