Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How To Build A Magnet Charger (Guide)

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Not the kind of thing one could rig up with some discarded disposable camera flash capacitors & a coil of wire then. (didn't think so).

I have come across some very high voltage capacitor discharge circuits in my free energy research, but although the voltage is very high (thousands of volts) the current is very low. Even these circuits are lethal, & to be totally honest it's not something I feel comfortable "messing around" with, (although I do have some microwave oven capacitors in my collection (1000v @ 1uF)).
    I'm not an electronics genius (I am an ex-electrician, but that's a different kettle of fish) just an enthusiastic amateur/novice where electronics is concerned.

Think I will just buy any rare earth magnets I need & keep to the plan of building a magnetiser for old engine magnetos (& perhaps the odd ceramic).

I would still like to see the original Gingery plans, but I'm not willing to spend any money doing so. I think everything I need to build a good magnetiser is already at my disposal. The magneto guys generally look upon Gingery's machine as something of a "toy" anyway, but many of these guys are very much stuck in the past, believing that the heavier the machine the more power it will have (some of them don't even think free energy machines are possible! ), unfortunately many in the hobby are unwilling to accept modern technology.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 1/0
    Some relevant and interesting information on chargers and charging here: Theory & Practice of Electromagnetic Design of DC Motors & Actuators

George P. Gogue & Joseph J. Stupak, Jr.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/0
    hey everyone, does anyone know if the Gingery design could be modded to charge Alnico rods to a specified level, for example a de-gaussed neck PU on a strat set. I'm currently charging with Neo's and then knock back the neck PU magnets with a pass or two through some Ceramics with reversed polarity, it works ok, but would be nice to get a uniform charge each time.
    cheers, Josh

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,578/18
    Given: 1,213/28
    Just thinking aloud, some may apply ... or not.

* you want to magnetize to a lower level than you can currently achieve.
    Nice, and way more doable than, say, trying to go beyond current maximum.

* so if you start with unmagnetized material, you might do fine with magnetizing is with less "intensity/strength" than currently available.

* if it were an electric circuit, you could reduce "voltage/current" by adding a series "resistor"

* magnetically, best "resistor" is plain air (or vacuum) meaning free space.

so I think you might use your current setup, just adding a certain thickness non magnetic material, which could be something as simple as a strip of wood, thickness to be found exprimentally.

I would insert a strip of wood between magnet and one of the current (passive) magnetizer poles, magnetize and measure.
    It will probably be too weak, so shave some wood and repeat.
    You will "waste" some time at the beginning, until you find optimum thickness, then youŽll just straight magnetize new ones and I guess they will be reasonably uniform ... and the value you want.
    Definitely cheaper/simpler than building a Gingery machine.

YMMV , etc.

Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/0
    Hey Juan, Yeh this is kinda how I'm doing it at the moment, with spacers, except I'm fully charging with Neo's and then knocking them back with ceramics and spacers. It works ok, but normally have to do it a few times over before I get a good reading across each pole. It seems the speed and how smoothly you move the bobbin through effects the charge.

I just thought if i could build an adjustable electronic magnetizer for around $200-300 it'd pay off in the long run.

I was thinking some kind of series resistance would do the trick, maybe a big rotary switch with different resistors would work, but it'd be a lot of trial and error working out the right resistance values for the charge on each set of pickups, probably quite impractical.

For anyone else thinking the same kind of thing, I've just found this on another thread

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t36699/

Mains powered and adjustable with a variac, looks like it'd be perfect for charging pickup magnets. Looks affordable and easy to build

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 7/0
    Quote Originally Posted by jop120 View Post
    hey everyone, does anyone know if the Gingery design could be modded to charge Alnico rods to a specified level, for example a de-gaussed neck PU on a strat set. I'm currently charging with Neo's and then knock back the neck PU magnets with a pass or two through some Ceramics with reversed polarity, it works ok, but would be nice to get a uniform charge each time.
    cheers, Josh
    variac

Thread Information