How To Build A Magnet Charger (Guide)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Build A Magnet Charger (Guide)

Be patient, these are LARGE images; they will sometimes take a moment to load but WORTH IT if you want to build this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	page1.gif
Views:	1
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	867145

Name:	page2.gif
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	867146

Name:	page3.gif
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	867147

Name:	page4.gif
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	867148

Name:	page5.gif
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	867149
    Last edited by rhgwynn; 02-25-2013, 10:12 AM.

Ah yes, the old magneto charger article. That's a nice clean copy too.

Comment

Has anyone on the forum ever built it?
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Is anyone here educated enough to tell me how this can be built as a plug-in? Even if it requires more parts...it would be nice to not have to worry about the battery and whether or not it is charged up. How strong (amps rating) of a power supply would one need?

-Rob

Comment

Someone here (Can't remember who right now ) built Gingerys magnetizer ,& had some problems with it & that's why I never tried building it
          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Two strong Neo's & bench vise goes a long way

Comment

Electric Davyboy built one I think.
              Robert, think about it, a lead acid car battery can put out 700-800 "Cold Cranking Amps" as the ads say. You can't get that much juice out of a wall outlet without some form of storage. You can either go with capacitor banks or with a really big, iron cored transformer. WHat's so hard about using a trickle charger and keeping the thing plugged in?

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                Robert, think about it, a lead acid car battery can put out 700-800 "Cold Cranking Amps" as the ads say. You can't get that much juice out of a wall outlet without some form of storage. You can either go with capacitor banks or with a really big, iron cored transformer. WHat's so hard about using a trickle charger and keeping the thing plugged in?
                Good point.

-Rob

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                  Looks like someone took a page from your book LOL

Walker High Power Magnetizer Magnet Charger | eBay

Dont think I have much room for that, hahahahaha....

-Rob

Comment

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I love the burn marks on the wall behind the magnetizer!

Comment

Electromagnets are all about amp-turns. This thing runs off 12V at 40A, you can get exactly the same result with 120V, 4A. Just use 10x as many turns, of magnet wire with 1/10 the cross-sectional area.

Obviously you have to use DC. You can plug it into the wall using a bridge rectifier. Put the switch on the AC side of the rectifier, and when you turn it off the rectifier will act as a flywheel diode to discharge the magnetic energy safely. Put the switch on the DC side if you want it to die instantly in a huge flaming arc.

Large neo magnets may be a better solution nowadays if you don't mind handling them.
                        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                          Ooh! Plain Enamel wire. Bet it works better than a poly built model

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                            Ooh! Plain Enamel wire. Bet it works better than a poly built model
                            With the PE wire ,the magnet wont sound so harsh....

Comment

I built Gingery's magnetizer myself a few years ago, but IMO it didn't really have quite enough oompf to get magnets completely charged even at 10A measured at 120VAC input. I was thinking about some kind of power amp for it to raise the energy going to the coils to do a better job. I used modern 150C rated coil wire, and a cap bank made of 500VDC caps (mil surplus) too.

ken
                              Last edited by ken; 03-05-2013, 04:53 AM.
                              www.angeltone.com

Comment

Working...
                              X